Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: single line reefing setup help

Quote Originally Posted by gregcope View Post
    The “rollers” are boom sheaves. Your boom looks like a selden one.

You will need “forward upper sheaves, spindle, circlips and washers”. Part numbers depend on which boom you have.

A good rigger should be able to supply these. I got mine from Martin Leaning Masts & Rigging Ltd.
    yes it is a seldon boom, although not sure of its part number, ill have a look around for a part number somewhere, were they expensive? as i could always fit some forward upper sheaves () and if it all gets into a winching nightmare i may just stick with what i have!

I have a very simple system (3 reefs) similar to illustration, on a 25-foot boat, and it's fine. Be sure that every time the rope changes direction it does so via a sheave or pulley of some description (ball-bearing for preference) and not, for instance, directly through a cringle as is sometimes done. Use the lightest line (high-strength low-stretch for preference) which is adequate for the job. Friction is your enemy.
    I suspect that on a larger boat, a more elaborate system might be needed, possibly one line each for the new tack and the new clew.
    As suggested above, a little experimentation would be in order as the easiest way of finding what's right for your boat.

North Wales, sailing Aegean Sea or Menai Strait

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus Sailing View Post
    how does one go about getting a balance block into the boom? and how do you stop it interfering with the reef 2 balance block?
    Drill out the pop rivets holding the end cap. I used rivnuts to put it back rather than more pop rivets, which has been useful when my crew pulled all the pennants out.

Provided the lines are all as they should be down each side of the boom with the outhaul down the middle the blocks will not clash. It was in 1992 that I first developed this system and I have used it ever since. The blocks have never clashed once.
    Answers to some technical queries at new website http://coxeng.co.uk

I have 3 single line reefs. An awful lot of line comes into the cockpit and there's an awful lot of friction (glad I have an electric winch). I am thinking of going to 2 line reefs.

We have 1st reef single in boom and second reef two line, works well, I did think about adding the second to in boom as Vyv has shown in the past, would reduce the reefing line length.

At risk of sounding a negative note my expereience with this seemingly good idea is the sad fact that it seldom works as expected.

The wonderful idea is all too easily overcome by the fricton in the multitude of blocks is all too likely to make the whole system utterly useless in any sort of wind. It is all very well for it to function smoothly in the marina in calm demonstration conditions, but put a real force 4/5 load on it and it simply isn't likely to function as advertised, and that is the last time you want to find that out.

Doubtless many will rubbish that opinion, but I suspect the majority of serious sailors who have tried it will concur...

I'm not saying it can't work, more that it it is unlikely to work reliably or well.

There are simpler solution that are guaranteed to wotk better.

So why not use them?
    Last edited by Old Bumbulum; 01-09-19 at 21:56.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Bumbulum View Post
    At risk of sounding a negative note my expereience with this seemingly good idea is the sad fact that it seldom works as expected.

The wonderful idea is all too easily overcome by the fricton in the multitude of blocks is all too likely to make the whole system utterly useless in any sort of wind. It is all very well for it to function smoothly in the marina in calm demonstration conditions, but put a real force 4/5 load on it and it simply isn't likely to function as advertised, and that is the last time you want to find that out.

Doubtless many will rubbish that opinion, but I suspect the majority of serious sailors who have tried it will concur...

I'm not saying it can't work, more that it it is unlikely to work reliably or well.

There are simpler solution that are guaranteed to wotk better.

So why not use them?
    Interested to hear I am not a serious sailor.

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus Sailing View Post
    yes it is a seldon boom, although not sure of its part number, ill have a look around for a part number somewhere, were they expensive? as i could always fit some forward upper sheaves () and if it all gets into a winching nightmare i may just stick with what i have!
    I brought two; for a larger boom; £40 odd I recall.

Quote Originally Posted by vyv_cox View Post
    After years of successful use of my balance block system (http://coxeng.co.uk/sails-and-rig/si...ng-diy-system/) I suspect that with the one in your sketch it might be quite difficult to achieve adequate clew tension. I find with mine that raising the topping lift far higher than its final position helps to get the sail tight along the boom but the additional friction at the tack end of your diagram might require very heavy winching even with the topping lift high.
    I've used the system in the sketch extensively on a performance cruiser with laminate sails. There is no issue with getting adequate clew tension. It's simple and it works.
    You never know, I might be right!

Quote Originally Posted by flaming View Post
    I've used the system in the sketch extensively on a performance cruiser with laminate sails. There is no issue with getting adequate clew tension. It's simple and it works.
    Fair enough, glad to hear it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast