Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Pants insurance cover

A friend has just had a serious mishap (not at fault) which will take months to repair and was surprised, as I was, to learn that his yacht insurer does not cover his transportation home nor emergency accommodation. Can anyone advise if the much lauded Pantaenius policy covers these expenses?
    I'd rather be tethered to a pad eye than tethered to an iPad.

Default Re: Pants insurance cover

All your friend has to do is read the clauses he agreed to. In my case, they say:

5.7. reasonable costs of accommodation, up to £100 per person per night, for you and your crew, family and guests who had been staying onboard the yacht, if the yacht becomes uninhabitable or unsafe, in the opinion of our surveyor, due to loss or damage covered by this insurance while in use abroad. If we agree in writing that you may leave the yacht unattended, we will pay reasonable (Economy Class) repatriation costs instead of accommodation costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Quiddle View Post
    A friend has just had a serious mishap (not at fault) which will take months to repair and was surprised, as I was, to learn that his yacht insurer does not cover his transportation home nor emergency accommodation. Can anyone advise if the much lauded Pantaenius policy covers these expenses?
    Just renewed mine with Amlin, was surprised to read that we only get the get you home bit if you buy the legal insurance bit at an extra 13 quid! I did buy it!

Quote Originally Posted by Yngmar View Post
    All your friend has to do is read the clauses he agreed to. In my case, they say:
    Very good. He has read the clauses. My question, rather selfishly, is with regard to whether I should change insurer as we use the same one. Names would be helpful. I thought Amlin were underwriters with whom you cannot insure directly?
    I'd rather be tethered to a pad eye than tethered to an iPad.

Very good. He has read the clauses. My question, rather selfishly, is with regard to whether I should change insurer as we use the same one. Names would be helpful. I thought Amlin were underwriters with whom you cannot insure directly?
    Surely the get you home bit should be covered by your “ holiday” insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by Hadenough View Post
    You may well be right, but often we don't think of these things. It happened to me last year. wife and I were going to sail with friends on their boat in Mallorca and got the call when in airport in Palma that they had unfortunately hit a rock and come off worse as a result boat now ashore, so we ended up staying in a hotel one night and rented a nice villa for the rest of the week for the four of us - didn't spoil the holiday for us. I never thought to claim on my annual travel insurance and I'm sure the friends didn't include it in their insurance claim with Pants. Mind you the the cost of the repair for what was a small crack in the hull below the waterline ( water was coming in, but not much) was staggeringly high even without our villa!
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Hadenough View Post
    Amlins recently took over Haven Knox Johnson

Y Yacht policy exclusion -

You are also not covered for:
    • the cost of travel expenses and temporary accommodation;

I don't have their free Legal insurance document to hand so can't check if included with that.

Those who rely on standard holiday insurance may be disappointed as it generally doesn't cover living on and crewing a boat, it's usually geared towards being a paying passenger on commercial or small hired boat.

That is our Pantaenius (UK) clauses I've quoted from, in case that wasn't clear.

I got a quote from Pantaenius last week - excellent looking policy but ... the premium they were asking was exactly double​ what I pay Y Insurance!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast