Thread: Burnham week

Default Burnham week

What has happened to Burnham week? I was there to day and there were only about 10 or 12 dinghies, and the cruiser fleet did not seen as big as previous years

It was only a few years ago that there were huge dinghy & cruiser fleets, a big camp site and catering by the local college

Also what happened to the Crouch Yacht Club? why has it closed?
    I respect my elders, but I can't find many now

Default Re: Burnham week

Maybe you've missed it. Was on the Crouch on Tuesday, was manic. So many boats racing around the entrance to the Roach we had trouble picking our way through

Quote Originally Posted by lincoln View Post
    Maybe you've missed it. Was on the Crouch on Tuesday, was manic. So many boats racing around the entrance to the Roach we had trouble picking our way through
    Many boats for a Tuesday maybe, but few for a Burnham week
    I respect my elders, but I can't find many now

Just looked at the results, very few boats other than the staunch RBOD, RCOD, Squib, Dragon.
    The Class boats were all on local handicap.
    Very sad, but entirely predictable.
    Funny, I was wearing my Burnham week 2010 T shirt today, haven't been since.
    'East Coast Pilot' at www.eastcoastpilot.com 4th Edition now available......

I did Burnham Week this year, 1st time for about 8 years. We had a great time. OK the golden years of hundreds of entries are long gone, but the buzz seemed to be back. The abscence of the hot shots and cut throat big boat racing does diminish something from the week but at least it makes it easier for those of us just doing it for fun in normal cruisers. We also had one day of racing upriver which made a pleasant change.
    We tried to claim a geriatric crew allowance on our handicap but this is apparently not allowed.

I was there for part of the week, not racing though (certainly not in my tub!). There did indeed seem to be a good spirit going. Went to a dinner one evening at the RBYC, 90 people there and very enjoyable.
    Keep up to date with 'East Coast Pilot' at www.eastcoastpilot.com