Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default raymarine or garmin

Hi
    I will be upgrading this year our gps radar etc, i have always had raymarine and find their kit easy to use, however it seems that new boats appear to have garmin? Not having garmin before I was wondering if anybody has experienceís good or bad or can offer a recommendation of which one to go for. We currently have a E120 raymarine with radar and auto pilot.

Default Re: raymarine or garmin

You will get fans of both, because both are good but quite different. I have used both, but personally find Raymarine easier. I have heard the complete opposite from others. INHO, stick to what you know and you will be happy. Change and there is a good chance you will find it frustrating.
    If found in the Brexit forum, please return to the real world.

I suspect any trends in new boat fitment are more related to which vendor offers the best volume discounts, rather than material functionality differences.
    In saily boats the usual choice is Raymarine vs Brooks & GAtehouse, with the latter arguably slightly ahead for sailing specific functionality at the moment.
    Interoperability of Radar and autopilots often limited so unless replacing everything at once most tend to stick with the same supplier for upgrades (though even then Raymarine backword compatibility is patchy, especially for new gen radar so needs checking in detail - ask me how I know !)

Unless you want to change all of it I would stick with what you have.

In my perception ( and that is all it is) Garmin invested heavily in r and d and were the clear winners ( they did the same in aviation)

Raymarine were going bust ( again) and were behind the game. They now seem to have invested heavily and I would suspect it comes down to price and personal preference.

Quote Originally Posted by kanajobe48 View Post
    Hi
    I will be upgrading this year our gps radar etc, i have always had raymarine and find their kit easy to use, however it seems that new boats appear to have garmin? Not having garmin before I was wondering if anybody has experienceís good or bad or can offer a recommendation of which one to go for. We currently have a E120 raymarine with radar and auto pilot.
    Just out of interest, why are you considering ditching what you have? We run an E120 and E80 and they still perform pretty well, with the occasional glitch. I canít think of any additional features Iíd want.

Hi
    Thank you for your responses, it’s much appreciated. I think a good look at the boat show and see where that leads, I do find the raymarine very intuitive, like said if you know what you have ?
    I’m changing as although works very well, I dont want to be caught short mid season having to replace if packs up. As all are now digital I have to replace the whole set up so trying to do some planned upgrading rather be stuck paying over odds and boat not moving/ Nathan

I canít comment on which one is best but I upgraded to Raymarine Axiom 9 and Quantum radar and love it especially being able to talk to it via my iPad and it talks easily to my depth and speed ST60ís. I went for the Bluetooth connection between the Quantum and Axiom and although it works fine, in hindsight I donít see the point. While your running a mains cable to the Quantum you may as well run the data cable.
    Touch pad screen is good even in a chop.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJ View Post
    I canít comment on which one is best but I upgraded to Raymarine Axiom 9 and Quantum radar and love it especially being able to talk to it via my iPad and it talks easily to my depth and speed ST60ís. I went for the Bluetooth connection between the Quantum and Axiom and although it works fine, in hindsight I donít see the point. While your running a mains cable to the Quantum you may as well run the data cable.
    Touch pad screen is good even in a chop.
    +1
    Upgraded everything and added an autopilot this year - all Raymarine. The Axiom Pro is the one we went for and I like it. Have some experience of Garmin and whilst it is good I prefer Raymarine functionality. Horses for courses in that respect I suspect - bit like Apple v Android

Following my last thread, I was pleased that I didnít have to update my 18 year old Raymarine depth transducer. It may have also worked with Garmin but much more uncertainty. And it still reads water temperature.

I’m really glad in way of such positive comments on raymarine as I’ve always found their kit user friendly , how do you get on with touch screen in direct sun light?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast