Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Default Re: How useful is a sea water tap ?

I have been using see water tap for about 8 years and love it. I use electric pump tapped in the head flushing sea cock, so no extra hole in the hull. The choice of faucet is important. It has to be a genuine 316 stainless or marine bronze. No compromise here. Also it is important it doesn't produce any spray and the water go only in the sink. I can't stress more, the pump switch has to be at a well visible place and conspicuously illuminated when on. Turning it it off when leaving the boat is imperative.
    The saving on fresh water can be dramatic as sea water can be used for virtually everything except for washing clothes showers and final rinse of dishes. Beware: soap doesn't work with it, but dish or hand washing liquids perform well. In short: worth having.

We have an interesting sea water tap!

Position 1) Closed
    Position 2) Sea water
    Position 3) Fresh water from the starboard tank.

We love it, but only use it well offshore.
    Cynical Scottish very nearly retired engineer who sails a Gib'Sea 96.

We had salt wate and fresh water taps but never used the salt water one.

Gone Sailing -on the move exploring SE Asia

Agree. We have a seawater foot pump in the galley
    Saves a ot of fresh water. Everything g is rinsed before we use a final wash in fresh water.

I have a tee off the seawater inlet for the head. It feeds a foot pump to the galley and an electric high pressure pump for anchor washing. No extra hull hole.
    I'd rather be naked
    www.mastaclimba.com

Quote Originally Posted by Graham_Wright View Post
    I have a tee off the seawater inlet for the head. It feeds a foot pump to the galley and an electric high pressure pump for anchor washing. No extra hull hole.
    +1

For me sailing in the Hebrides (just like NormanS) and points further north, would say essential. Dramatic reduction in FW useage. Means I only have to top-up the tank every

Quote Originally Posted by jiris View Post
    I have been using see water tap for about 8 years and love it. I use electric pump tapped in the head flushing sea cock, so no extra hole in the hull. The choice of faucet is important. It has to be a genuine 316 stainless or marine bronze. No compromise here. Also it is important it doesn't produce any spray and the water go only in the sink. I can't stress more, the pump switch has to be at a well visible place and conspicuously illuminated when on. Turning it it off when leaving the boat is imperative.
    The saving on fresh water can be dramatic as sea water can be used for virtually everything except for washing clothes showers and final rinse of dishes. Beware: soap doesn't work with it, but dish or hand washing liquids perform well. In short: worth having.
    Good call that's convinced me.

Lorient, just back from a second round Atlantic trip

We have a foot operated pump at the sink, the sea water inlet from a dedicated through hull; we use it so much I am adding an inline electric operated pump to use when rinsing dishes and one has to pump continuously for minutes and minutes.

The foot pump is better located in a visible and checkable position, depending on piping layout the hull thickness separating the inside of the boat from the whole ocean may well be the pump membrane..
    oh no, yet another sailing blog
    http://sybrancaleone.blogspot.com/

I did read once of someone tapping into their engine cooling seawater circuit. Not a good idea. Engine pump sucks air in, then starves heat exchanger and engine overheats. Fine somewhere else to get the seawater, even if a seperate seacock.
    Geoff. C.: Galvanizing and anchor manufacturing.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast