Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 66
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    up on the moors.
    Posts
    33,341

    Default How useful is a sea water tap ?

    I have a through-hull with a good but unconnected Blakes valve.

    With some maintenance and refurb coming up, I am wondering about the value of connecting the valve to a hand pump, so that in the event of getting out into blue water, I can use seawater for various domestic tasks.

    For those of you with a seawater tap, just how useful are they and would you recommend them ?
    I think, therefore I am. I am, therefore I sail.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Greenwich
    Posts
    7,595

    Default Re: How useful is a sea water tap ?

    Well thanks to some inventive plumbing ours nearly sank our boat a couple of days out into the Atlantic, so I’m deciding whether to block it off or replumb it.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mediterranean
    Posts
    1,227

    Default Re: How useful is a sea water tap ?

    I’d like one.

    Most evenings when we are anchored I use the bathing platform to wash off the pots and pans, before giving them a quick wash in the sink with fresh water.

    I think that it’s most useful when cruising with limited access to fresh water. If you plan to go marina to marina or have a water maker, I guess that the need is reduced.

    Garold

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    6,500

    Default Re: How useful is a sea water tap ?

    Im a strong believer in KISS. Hence when I need seawater I use a bucket and rope over the side.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    A Member State of the European Union
    Posts
    6,481

    Default Re: How useful is a sea water tap ?

    The only time I use sea water is to rinse out my portable urinal bottle which I use when taken short in crowded waters where I dare not leave the helm unattended.

    My boat having a low freeboard, all I have to do after emptying it over the wall is reach down and catch some sea water on it, swish it about and empty it again.

    Piece of ....!
    "Brexit: like watching a library being burned down by people who can't read"

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,345

    Default Re: How useful is a sea water tap ?

    Seawater to the galley is a worthwhile addition, although it depends on how clean the water is where you will be spending time.

    If you have a spare through hull then you have 90% of the effort involved in installation already completed so it seems a shame not to finish the other 10%.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Central Scotland
    Posts
    2,360

    Default Re: How useful is a sea water tap ?

    I have one in the galley. It has halved my freshwater consumption. Rinse and wash everything with salt, and then final rinse in fresh.
    Geoff. C.: Galvanizing and anchor manufacturing.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
    Posts
    5,207

    Default Re: How useful is a sea water tap ?

    We’ve got an pumped sea water tap at the galley sink with another tap in the anchor locker for washing the chain as it comes aboard. Well worth fitting it, it’s at least halved our water consumption and the tap the chain locker can also be used for deck wash down. Yes, we could use a bucket but it’s much easier just turning on a tap or using a hose pipe.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Posts
    7,670

    Default Re: How useful is a sea water tap ?

    With the seacock already there you may as well use it.We swill the dishes in sea water when it's clean enough but I wouldn't drill another hole in the hull for it.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Yorkshire England
    Posts
    870

    Default Re: How useful is a sea water tap ?

    One downside you have to also consider is how many times you will stub you toe on the damn pump lever!!

    I have a watermaker and have not used the seawater pump, with no watermaker I'd agree its a convenient and efficient to have the seawater pump..

Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to