Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Default Re: How useful is a sea water tap ?

Quote Originally Posted by Luminescent View Post
    Following this thread as a matter of interest but... Seawater is an acid? (I can't find any trace of 'Amoebic-hydrochloric-acid', the only chemical name I can find for seawater is CHO)

There's been a couple mentions of using water makers but some sailors tend to collect rain water (from their spray hoods I think) into a bucket and use that. All in all it doesn't look like a seawater pump is a necessary or heck even useful thing. Though it might save a few seconds out of convenience (i.e. the sea is really rough while you're washing the dishes and you don't wanna go outside...but then... why are you washing the dishes??).
    Sorry, got it wrong. It's not particularly acidic. After a bit of research it seems that sea water contains material burrowing worms that eat steel, wood and fabric from the inside out. My mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Zing View Post
    Sorry, got it wrong. It's not particularly acidic. After a bit of research it seems that sea water contains material burrowing worms that eat steel, wood and fabric from the inside out. My mistake.
    So for all practical purposes then...acidic :3.

Most blue water ocean sailors have a sea water tap but it's not really necessary for marina hopping.

I's say well worth it, well offshore. Not a great idea imo for waters in which I wouldn't want to run a watermaker.

Also, pure, clear water is great for cooking typically used in the ratio of 3:1, or 4:1. Some Michelin chefs buy the stuff in cartons; so if it's right there, why not?

Seawater is another name for amoebic-hydrochloric-acid. It has absolutely no place in a boat. Once it gets inside it will get transmitted by it’s own surface crawling amoeba onto all parts of the boat and destroy every element of it from within. Keep it out at all costs. You have been warned.
    Sounds like we play in very dangerous stuff. Has a health warning been issued?
    Cynical Scottish very nearly retired engineer who sails a Gib'Sea 96.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    Sounds like we play in very dangerous stuff. Has a health warning been issued?
    I didn’t even mention the microbes and parasites, nor the fish urine and excrement. It’s a raw, living, toxic biological soup in fact. Stay clear.

Quote Originally Posted by sarabande View Post
    I have a through-hull with a good but unconnected Blakes valve.

With some maintenance and refurb coming up, I am wondering about the value of connecting the valve to a hand pump, so that in the event of getting out into blue water, I can use seawater for various domestic tasks.

For those of you with a seawater tap, just how useful are they and would you recommend them ?
    Its as useful as a chocolate teapot when you are thirst.

I didn’t even mention the microbes and parasites, nor the fish urine and excrement. It’s a raw, living, toxic biological soup in fact. Stay clear.
    I'm assuming this is a tongue-in-cheek joke.

If it isn't, then I feel duty bound to point out to anyone reading it that it's a complete load of twaddle.
    Semper aliud

I had one on last boat, current boat doesn't have one, and am probably gonna fit one this winter. I find it useful.

You forgot the radiation from the Fukoshima nuclear plant, not to mention the nuclear subs and weapons rusting on the seabed, the munitions dumped in the Irish Sea, and the millions of tons of toxic chemical waste pumped daily into the pristine blue oceans! Why do you think lobsters have got eight legs, it stands to reason, open your eyes!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast