Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default How much bilge water and fuel leak is too much?

Dear Mates,

I am a beginner. Just bought a 42 feet fly ridge last year winter. And found the bilge always has water and diesel mixture. I cleaned around 40 L mixture total within the last 3 months period. About 70% water, 30% diesel.

So, it's like 13.5 L every month, about 10 L is water, 3.5 L is diesel. Is this too much? Thanks mates.

Default Re: How much bilge water and fuel leak is too much?

The diesel is .
    Water not so bothered - rain and other leaks .

Find the source and fix the diesel .

You really need to find and fix the diesel leak

Options are the tank , fuel lines or the system post the pump

Check the water pump. The seals can leak due to the forces on the shaft. Diesel leak likely to be fuel line.

Thanks mates.

I now only find a suspect diesel leaking from the starboard tank. But not obvious, so I will keep monitoring from today. Hopefully not the tank!

The tank is under the shower room, and it's unaccessible! Just used my under water camera with a selfy stick to take a look under the floor, the tank all dry on the surface, fuel pipes and fittings. The worst case could be on the bottom of the tank! Hopefully not. Because that will be impossible to fix if that is the case unless I remove the shower room, floor and lift the tank up!

Agreed with others, find the diesel leak. Diesel stains so inspect the bilges carefully and you may be able to trace it back.

Good luck. Water is also a bugger to find the source of on a boat

Obvious - salt or fresh.

The time honoured method is talcum powder and hopefully you can see trace lines showing where is came from

what boat is it? another owner may be able to suggest more specific ideas about possible leak source and solutions.

Is there enough room around the tank to lift it up a bit if you release the holding straps and put some paper underneath to see if its leaking?
    The water could be from the sea water pumps on the engines and /or the stern glands where the shafts go out the bottom. If it's rain water that can be a sod to find but doesn't matter too much. Check all the deck drains are clear and connected to the external skin fittings
    Does the drinking water pump come on every few hours for no apparent reason? If so check out all the on board drinking water pipes - not uncommon to have a leak at a joint.
    Last edited by kashurst; 01-09-19 at 17:05.

The boat in fresh water.

The boat has two big tanks, each 200L, so no room to move or lift it up. I am now putting some dry tissues on all the suspicious position to see where the diesel leaking from. This might get result tomorrow.
    Last edited by Lucas Gan; 02-09-19 at 10:33.

blue roll is good for this as it stains nicely when wet or dries crinkled.

p.s i would say any amount is too much, you need to know what leaks, if it is wet already it's impossible to figure out what is going on.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast