Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: How much bilge water and fuel leak is too much?

You should not have any diesel in the bilge at all.

Water. depending on the sterngland, if a packed gland a drip is normal, if you have modern dripless seals you should have no water from sternseal in the bilge.

So where is it coming from?

Can you get access to the top of the tank and does it have an inspection hatch? if so then if you can drain the tank and clean it you can get various resin based compounds in liquid form which are mixed and you pour them into the tank and it seals the bottom, but you really need to be careful of any baffles and use a hose to pour your mixed resin into so it goes straight to the bottom of the tank and settles, and not on any baffles or fittings.
    I am old and wise because i was young and stupid.

Thanks mate. Yes, it has a hatch. Your idea is brilliant! I might give it a try eventually. It just the tank has three quarters diesel in it which about 150 L at the moment! Don't know how to drain and what container can hold that much!
    Last edited by Lucas Gan; 02-09-19 at 10:34.

draining / storing it is one thing
    getting it clean enough for the sealant to stick, that would be the tricky bit in my opinion ....

and b4 you do all that, is it def the tank bottom, or connectors that leak ?

You are right! The only fitting I can reach through the little hatch (just about 8" circle hatch) is the filling pipe and a 3/4" pipe to the engine. Seems like not easy to clean such a big tank!

I still investigating where the leaking from. All the connectors looking dry and good. The only wet little stream I can found is a 1" hold on the bottom next to the starboard tank room.

dry it out and see how big the leak is there
    could be a spill from somewhere else
    took me 2 yrs to find All the leaks in the bilge of my boat ....

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas Gan View Post
    . About 70% water, 30% diesel.
    Diesel is lighter than water and sits on top so it always looks like there's more diesel than there actually is but you should try and find the source of it because many local authorities take a dim view of diesel contaminated bilge water being discharged overboard (rightly so)

Do your diesel tanks have drain plugs (for draining the bottom of the tanks)? Might be worth checking that they arent leaking

when you clean it out, try and dry it off after, then put some absorbent mats down. this should give you an idea of where the leak are coming from if it under the engines.. If you put some kitchen roll around areas ie pipes or joints that you think might be leaking or close to or under .(do not do it where it gets hot!) you may be able to see where its leaking from too.
    [URL="https://www.facebook.com/buoyfun/[URL]
    Mendezmarine.co.uk

Thanks mates. Will try.

Here you reminded me one more question: where can I discharge the diesel water mixture? I keep all that 40+ L bilge mixture liquid in three containers on land. I will never discharge them to the river. Where can I discharge or recycle them to?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast