Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Late August trip to Holland

Quote Originally Posted by Javelin View Post
    Well done you.
    Getting off my boat is a pain over the bow so I normally reverse in but if single handed I can see I could get into a whole lot of pain.
    The locks hold no fear for me these days except for the one on the way to Willemstad as theres a lot of flow in and out.
    The remote on my autopilot is superb though and enables me to do far more with swmbo down below.
    All I would like now is a remote for the engine throttle and Id be well and truly sorted.
    I shall have a word with Mat, at work about that.......
    only a bowthruster to go & you`re well sorted

Wash your mouth out!

Sail on the Medway, Kent from Chatham Maritime Marina

Quote Originally Posted by Old Harry View Post
    It must have a remote as well! Javelin would be so chuffed at his new found toys. Does he know anyone to fit one?
    If my foresight was as good as my hindsight, I would be a multi-millionaire.

Do you use a thick line along the hull when going into the box
    No.
    What i did was make up 2 /10mm diameter lines 9 metres long, with a spliced eye one end. I hooked the eyes to the spring cleats & the other end I passed over the aft cleat & round the aft winches. I left lots of slack in the lines & hung them on the guard rails. I put the fenders onto the side decks to stopped them snagging if i rubbed the poles (I did not actually touch them until right in) But they were ready if there were any boats in the next box.

I lined the boat up square with the box & motored in with enough bias for the wind. That was important to start me off right.

As I motored in I first looped the windward one over the pole, then the same with the lea one. By straddling the tiller with my legs I then played the 2 lines on the winches such that as I went forward, with the engine in tickover, I could steer the boat by the tension on one or the other line. Mostly on the windward one.

When I judged the bow was just off the dock I left the engine in tickover. Put the lines into the tailers on the winches & nipped quickly forward & stepped over the bow with the bow lines. I then tied the windward line first followed by the other.

Back on the boat I stopped the engine & asked the non existent crowd not to clap & cheer, but smile with admiration
    Last edited by Daydream believer; 06-09-19 at 08:56.
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

You can't win. Audiences are so fickle. All my masterful manoeuvres have been unobserved, well both of them actually. I've had my boat for nigh on twenty years and I still find judging the distance from the bow difficult.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream believer View Post
    No.
    What i did was make up 2 /10mm diameter lines 9 metres long, with a spliced eye one end. I hooked the eyes to the spring cleats & the other end I passed over the aft cleat & round the aft winches. I left lots of slack in the lines & hung them on the guard rails. I put the fenders onto the side decks to stopped them snagging if i rubbed the poles (I did not actually touch them until right in) But they were ready if there were any boats in the next box.

I lined the boat up square with the box & motored in with enough bias for the wind. That was important to start me off right.

As I motored in I first looped the windward one over the pole, then the same with the lea one. By straddling the tiller with my legs I then played the 2 lines on the winches such that as I went forward, with the engine in tickover, I could steer the boat by the tension on one or the other line. Mostly on the windward one.

When I judged the bow was just off the dock I left the engine in tickover. Put the lines into the tailers on the winches & nipped quickly forward & stepped over the bow with the bow lines. I then tied the windward line first followed by the other.

Back on the boat I stopped the engine & asked the non existent crowd not to clap & cheer, but smile with admiration
    Had you have cocked-up there would have been 100s watching

I think bow thrusters should have a time lock on them
    They should automatically disengage between the hours of 20-00 and 08-00 so I can get some b..dy sleep
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

I have a thruster with a remote - when ribbed by old salts I usually ask them whether they still wash their clothes on a stone by the river - most don't. If tech can save you (and others) time, stress and topsides scars; why not?
    Like Javelin I'd love a remote for the throttle.
    My problem with box moorings is that I don't encounter them often enough for it to become second nature...

Not a fan of thrusters unless the boat warrants it, such as a oyster 435 or basically anything that doesn’t reverse.
    Why big twin screw power boats have them I have no idea.

That said I’m happy to fit them, nothing better than cutting bloody great holes in someone’s pride and joy.....��

Interesting as there is a grp tunnel here waiting for you on your return.

Glad autopilot is working well. Just thinking that I need to book a holiday

Quote Originally Posted by Javelin View Post
    Not a fan of thrusters unless the boat warrants it, such as a oyster 435 or basically anything that doesn’t reverse.
    Why big twin screw power boats have them I have no idea.

That said I’m happy to fit them, nothing better than cutting bloody great holes in someone’s pride and joy.....��
    Electrical & heating engineer, Diesel remaps, Custom panels
    Southwold & Ipswich Yards

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast