Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Hurricane Dorian

Watch out for Gabrielle, especially in the oop north.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1169753483186266113

Found this. Its not long. The noises when it blows........

Quote Originally Posted by zoidberg View Post
    I suggested four days ago, in #6, that Dorian's energy would come this way do do us some harm, and I'm not the only one to think that....

https://www.express.co.uk/news/weath...torm-gabrielle

However, other forecasters are pointing to the opposite - just like our politics:
    The media are exceeding themselves again. No wonder journalists are so discredited. Here is the headline you linked to:

KILLER Hurricane Dorian set to join forces with another churning tropical vortex before heading to Britain to unleash storm hell.

The perfect storm is coming our way if you believe it.

Journalists, huh! Who breeds 'em...?

Quote Originally Posted by KellysEye View Post
    A Rastafarian in the Abacos was interviewed on the BBC news this morning and he said "There are bodies everywhere".
    What does his religion have to do with it?
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    What does his religion have to do with it?
    Is it because they are Haile thought of?

Quote Originally Posted by capnsensible View Post
    Is it because they are Haile thought of?
    They're ganja have problems.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Jah

Quote Originally Posted by Zing View Post
    The media are exceeding themselves again. No wonder journalists are so discredited. Here is the headline you linked to:

KILLER Hurricane Dorian set to join forces with another churning tropical vortex before heading to Britain to unleash storm hell.

The perfect storm is coming our way if you believe it.
    The problem with such sensationalist press weather items is that, just occasionally, they get it near enough right to trumpet that from the rooftops.

Hurricanes taking the Dorian track do head for the U.K. but usually fizzle out in mid-Atlantic. They may merge with a low that formed near the eastern seaboard of N America and give that a boost. More often they come across as an area of very moist air. In both cases, the latent heat effect can give a lot of energy to the existing or a new Atlantic low. Something of that sort happened in October 1987 . It was NOT a hurricane but did have hurricane force winds.

Rarely, a hurricane forms somewhere near the Azores. These may just about get to the U.K. but rarely. Ophelia in 2017 was one such.

Quote Originally Posted by franksingleton View Post
    The problem with such sensationalist press weather items is that, just occasionally, they get it near enough right to trumpet that from the rooftops.

Hurricanes taking the Dorian track do head for the U.K. but usually fizzle out in mid-Atlantic. They may merge with a low that formed near the eastern seaboard of N America and give that a boost. More often they come across as an area of very moist air. In both cases, the latent heat effect can give a lot of energy to the existing or a new Atlantic low. Something of that sort happened in October 1987 . It was NOT a hurricane but did have hurricane force winds.

Rarely, a hurricane forms somewhere near the Azores. These may just about get to the U.K. but rarely. Ophelia in 2017 was one such.
    Or to put it another way, of the hundreds of Atlantic hurricanes headed our way over the last century that not a single one has remained a hurricane, let alone as a devastating storm by the time it got here, so the Express newspaper predictions were really ridiculous.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast