Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: Best downwind sail?

Quote Originally Posted by geem View Post
    We pole out the tack as a conventional spinnaker
    Used to do that on our last boat with the cruising chute. Thinking of a chute with a top-down curler for the new boat. But does the furler preclude poling out the tack?

For long distance saiiing we used a hinged Twistle rig one thing is it stops the boat rolling because the poles are flying free, with a genoa poled out the sail pushes the mast and vice versa. The other thing is you can reef it a lot of boats over the Atlantic took their spinnakers down in case a squall came along, and we did have a lot for 10 days and one sat over us overnight.

I'd expereiment with wing-and-wing, perhaps with a whisker pole. I think the method is underused.

Quote Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
    I'd expereiment with wing-and-wing, perhaps with a whisker pole. I think the method is underused.
    Being blown along by a 'wing and wing' rig is great for tradewind sailing, or anything where you've got a good distance to go in a good steady breeze.
    The OP was asking about coastal sailing in lighter conditions.
    In my view, that calls for a lot of sail area and 'apparent wind' sailing.

Cool Re: Best downwind sail?

On my little 26’er, I originally had a twin groove furling system on the headsail and often ran downwind with my no1 and no2 Genoa’s on together. Not quite a “twisle” rig but close enough. Now I have Parasail (not the parasailor) and it’s easier to rig single handed and better. I’ve used it in the Solent often, just daysailing and had a couple of fine Channel crossings under it. I’d have another in a heartbeat, if I bought another boat.
    Grow old disgracefully, it's more fun

Having done a lot of racing over 40 years, I'm not a fan of symmetrical spinnakers - Just too hard to tame when things go south. Wing on wing is good if you have the hardware but a lot of boats these days don't even have a spinnaker pole, never mind 2 (or a whisker pole).

My fav is an asymmetrical on a furler (like the facnor http://www.facnor.com/uk/products/as...im/default.asp ). No pole needed, tack is also under control as it doesn't move. Easy to set up and more importantly, get down in a hurry.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234