Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Best downwind sail?

Quote Originally Posted by geem View Post
    We pole out the tack as a conventional spinnaker
    Used to do that on our last boat with the cruising chute. Thinking of a chute with a top-down curler for the new boat. But does the furler preclude poling out the tack?

For long distance saiiing we used a hinged Twistle rig one thing is it stops the boat rolling because the poles are flying free, with a genoa poled out the sail pushes the mast and vice versa. The other thing is you can reef it a lot of boats over the Atlantic took their spinnakers down in case a squall came along, and we did have a lot for 10 days and one sat over us overnight.

I'd expereiment with wing-and-wing, perhaps with a whisker pole. I think the method is underused.

Quote Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
    I'd expereiment with wing-and-wing, perhaps with a whisker pole. I think the method is underused.
    Being blown along by a 'wing and wing' rig is great for tradewind sailing, or anything where you've got a good distance to go in a good steady breeze.
    The OP was asking about coastal sailing in lighter conditions.
    In my view, that calls for a lot of sail area and 'apparent wind' sailing.

Cool Re: Best downwind sail?

On my little 26’er, I originally had a twin groove furling system on the headsail and often ran downwind with my no1 and no2 Genoa’s on together. Not quite a “twisle” rig but close enough. Now I have Parasail (not the parasailor) and it’s easier to rig single handed and better. I’ve used it in the Solent often, just daysailing and had a couple of fine Channel crossings under it. I’d have another in a heartbeat, if I bought another boat.
    Grow old disgracefully, it's more fun

Having done a lot of racing over 40 years, I'm not a fan of symmetrical spinnakers - Just too hard to tame when things go south. Wing on wing is good if you have the hardware but a lot of boats these days don't even have a spinnaker pole, never mind 2 (or a whisker pole).

My fav is an asymmetrical on a furler (like the facnor http://www.facnor.com/uk/products/as...im/default.asp ). No pole needed, tack is also under control as it doesn't move. Easy to set up and more importantly, get down in a hurry.

Starting to look seriously at an assymetric with a top-down furler. Any ideas on sail area compared to the white sails? Our main and 135% furling genoa give about 70 sq.m. Sailmakers are talking about assymetrics from 70 to 100 sq.m. We expect to normally use it at deep angles in light winds but 100 sq.m. sounds huge.

Quote Originally Posted by DJE View Post
    Starting to look seriously at an assymetric with a top-down furler. Any ideas on sail area compared to the white sails? Our main and 135% furling genoa give about 70 sq.m. Sailmakers are talking about assymetrics from 70 to 100 sq.m. We expect to normally use it at deep angles in light winds but 100 sq.m. sounds huge.
    Sounds about right to me. My asymmetrics are 95-130m^2 which we can mostly handle two-up. IIRC (?) yours is a masthead rig which will naturally increase the proportionate size of the assy.

When you say quite deep, I think about 160 is as low as one can sensibly get and even then it's very shape dependent. It might be worth having a serious think about the windspeeds and angles you'd like to fly it: perhaps 120deg in 5-10kt TWS up to say 160deg in up to 20kts, or whatever.

Then discuss these specs with your sailmaker so you all know exactly what you want.

Edit: what North call their G2 might be close to what you want, although any sailmaker can produce something along those lines:
    https://cfd.northsails.com/sailing/w...er_3.22.17.pdf
    Last edited by dom; 20-09-19 at 11:46.

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by geem View Post
    We sail a 44ft yacht with just me and the wife. We have an asymmetric spinnaker. We only ever set it on the pole. We use a snuffer. We never attempt to gybe with it, we just snuff it and then rig on the opposite side but rarely even do this. We only use a two line system. Its very simple and gives a huge speed advantage ddw. We have friends with an identical boat. They use a Parasail. We ‘blow’ them away with the asymmetric when cruising in company. They have recently taken to setting the parasail on a pole with the main up goose-winged for ddw. At all the additional cost you have to wonder why they have a Parasail.
    The Red Monster ("I" 18.71 metres, "J" 6.28 metres) was carefully designed to keep 11 fit people very busy. She came without a windlass or an autopilot but with two massive spinnaker poles, a jockey pole, twin halyards, lifts, etc and three spinnakers. Since she no longer has the eleven fit people, and has to get along with one or two geriatrics, the kites are on loan to a sister ship which does race, and I am quietly thinking of what to put in their place.

I am much obliged to Geem for saving me the ghastly price of a Parasail...

Quote Originally Posted by DJE View Post
    nice posh sail, get the big one i think. If you keep it at night, perhaps get a secondhand smaller cheap thing. Not big, like erm curtains, always lots of material, big bag innit?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast