Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Recommend me a log book

Having completed our maiden (sea) voyage (see Bristol Channel forum), I would like to start to keep records. Something virtually indestructible with sensible headings for entry would suit.

Any recommendations please?
    I'd rather be naked
    www.mastaclimba.com

Default Re: Recommend me a log book

I've moved from paper to an Excel spreadsheet. You can configure it as you wish and I keep a tab as a maintenance log too.

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.

We use this one https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F333248194862. One lasts us about two years cruising. We don’t use all the columns but use it as a memory jogger for where and when.
    When the Admiral was in journal keeping mode (for a number of years.....) we used a page a day diary as both her journal and as a log book. Cheap ones fell to bit, we had an Aspinal one with embossed leather cover one year (£90+ bit very nice) and finally found a Staples premium weight one worked well. Journal writing has no ceased so we’re back to the log book suggested off eBay.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham_Wright View Post
    Having completed our maiden (sea) voyage (see Bristol Channel forum), I would like to start to keep records. Something virtually indestructible with sensible headings for entry would suit.

Any recommendations please?
    There's a choice of hardback books to use, well made but not indestructible. There are pocket size ones done in waterproof paper which are the strongest, but a bit small. Doing it on a computer doesn't work on a small boat in rough weather at night, blundering about in sopping wet oilskins at the change of watch, plus real paper is a record of a passage like no other, with the different handwriting and comments, neat pages, gaps where it was too rough to write, (filled in later when you are safely in harbour), tea stains, bloodstains, etc etc. Old log books are wondrous things, even if you weren't there!

I just looked at mine, happy memories which I had forgotten even though it was just a few weeks ago..the logbook is by Fernhurst books and recommended by me, it's been wet and kicked on the floor a few times with no damage..
    The pro forma page tells you how to use it ( if you want)

The entry "198kHz noisy noise" means I couldn't get the shipping forecast when I expected, we were 2 up going through the N Sea oil fields at 7 knots in rough weather, sparse entries in the log but enough.
    The other extract is from earlier in the summer, when each entry mentions a crew member's brief dalliance with Vilde, a Norwegian maiden from the local dinghy club
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ohlin Karcher; 02-09-19 at 09:28.

I use an A4 notebook, but one with heavier weight paper (90gm). Have half a book shelf of them now.

I use an A6 Moleskien ruled notebook similar to this one:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Moleskine-C...SIN=8883701003

Pros:
    Adjust the log to exactly what you want.
    This can evolve as necessary.
    Very good quality paper and a pleasure to use.

Cons:
    You need to add the static information each time (EG headings for the hourly entries).

John

Quote Originally Posted by duncan99210 View Post
    We use this one https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F333248194862. One lasts us about two years cruising. We don’t use all the columns but use it as a memory jogger for where and when.
    When the Admiral was in journal keeping mode (for a number of years.....) we used a page a day diary as both her journal and as a log book. Cheap ones fell to bit, we had an Aspinal one with embossed leather cover one year (£90+ bit very nice) and finally found a Staples premium weight one worked well. Journal writing has no ceased so we’re back to the log book suggested off eBay.
    That's the one I use. Good to see the price has dropped considerably since I last bought one.
    "Brexit: like watching a library being burned down by people who can't read"

RYA do a variety. I have one for the boat and a separate one for me.
    logs.jpg

Friday 12th July
    0000 to 0600 1nm. Comment "lol! #worldsworstsailor"
    0600 to 1200 1nm. Comment "see above"

Those memories are well worth the price of the book and the effort to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Buck Turgidson View Post
    ....Those memories are well worth the price of the book and the effort to use it.
    Totally agree 100%

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast