Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Recommend me a log book

Quote Originally Posted by Ohlin Karcher View Post
    Totally agree 100%
    In praise of both ....
    If you're running opencpn then the konni logbook plugin does a great job, auto records most data coming in like lat/long/wind/sog etc etc and can export to a web page file so you can save your favourite passages in dropbox or wherever. And still allowed to use paper as well if you want! Personally I've gone over to just konni living aboard as it works so well with start/end transferred to the boat paper logbook now and again. But still have the logbooks from the last boat and this one, nice to flick through though so is the electronic version

https://www.marinestore.co.uk/Mercha...BoCc2YQAvD_BwE

This is the one that works for me.

Probably the dullest one so far mentioned, aside from the exercise books and similar.

In use I write everything I want instantly to hand on the totally blank left page. So it's essentially my passage plan with the underlying data: times of tides, slack waters at headlands, distances and expected passage times, pilotage stuff, useful VHF channels, whatever.

On the ruled right hand page there's a left hand margin and a number of unlabelled columns extending from the right hand margin. And a useful space in between. This is where I log events, courses steered, log readings, GPS or other fixes, weather conditions, whatever.

I have the one linked to, which is loose leaf but firmly bolted together by a couple of brass fasteners. Nothing's going to fall out of that version.

There's a newer model which has a ring file mechanism. I'd avoid this.

A long time ago I designed my own using Excel spreadsheet and printed Filofax size loose leaf sheets, I still use them.
    I archive them each year and put a yearly summary onto a spreadsheet.
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

I like to keep a book.
    Keep an eye out for Reeds at the end of the previous year as they sometimes do a free log book

North Wales, sailing Aegean Sea or Menai Strait

Quote Originally Posted by LadyInBed View Post
    A long time ago I designed my own using Excel spreadsheet and printed Filofax size loose leaf sheets, I still use them.
    I archive them each year and put a yearly summary onto a spreadsheet.
    Almost the same as me. Mine are A4 sized, bound with a plastic comb. Each season I make one up for the coming year with a photo taken from the previous season as the front cover. I have all mine back to the 1990s. Also I transcribe much of it into a spreadsheet each winter.
    Answers to some technical queries at new website http://coxeng.co.uk

I use the RYA boat log and an spreadsheet for personal use.

The spreadsheet also has a tab for the boat with information taken from the GPS track plus engine ours.
    Cynical Scottish very nearly retired engineer who sails a Gib'Sea 96.

Bookshelves worth of space!
    Presumably at home or that's loads of extra weight on board.
    I love the touch and feel of paper.
    I love looking back at old scribbles etc.

But...

OpenCPN has a logbook plugin.
    A file. Or rather as many files as you can shake a stick at. On a memory stick. Virtually weightless. Portable. Backups online. Searchable.
    The only disadvantages... They don't have the same feel as the genuine hand written entries. The scribbles - rather than the "rigid log" do not get captured.

I do wonder - will our kids / gran kids look through our digital archives - photos, logs, live letters or whatever else like we might our grandparents...

Quote Originally Posted by James_Calvert View Post
    https://www.marinestore.co.uk/Mercha...BoCc2YQAvD_BwE

This is the one that works for me.

Probably the dullest one so far mentioned, aside from the exercise books and similar.

In use I write everything I want instantly to hand on the totally blank left page. So it's essentially my passage plan with the underlying data: times of tides, slack waters at headlands, distances and expected passage times, pilotage stuff, useful VHF channels, whatever.

On the ruled right hand page there's a left hand margin and a number of unlabelled columns extending from the right hand margin. And a useful space in between. This is where I log events, courses steered, log readings, GPS or other fixes, weather conditions, whatever.

I have the one linked to, which is loose leaf but firmly bolted together by a couple of brass fasteners. Nothing's going to fall out of that version.

There's a newer model which has a ring file mechanism. I'd avoid this.
    I ordered one from the Marine Store website with brass fixing. The ring binder version has just arrived. It wouldn't last five minutes on my ship and will be returned. Furthermore, the rings are steel and will rust in no time!
    Last edited by Graham_Wright; 05-09-19 at 15:04.
    I'd rather be naked
    www.mastaclimba.com

That's a real shame.

Can they supply the older style one?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12