Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Default Dive boat fire - 30 trapped

This looks absolutely terrible: dive vessel in flames just off Santa Cruz Island Santa Barbara

https://edition.cnn.com/us/live-news...ire/index.html

Default Re: Dive boat fire - 30 trapped

I think this is the boat.

https://www.truthaquatics.com/conception/

But more to the point, this is the 'bunkroom', and seems to have only one exit. You have to have two even on a small boat to meet ORC regs - how on earth did it get permission to operate?

conception-bunk-layout.png

That can’t be right, can it? One assumes there must be other exits for the purpose of escape, although the fact that all of the crew got off and none of the passengers (according to early reports) suggests otherwise.

One can only hope the rest are floating around in life rafts, LJs, or perhaps even swimming. It does, however, seem like a terrible human tragedy is unfolding.

Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    T[...]It does, however, seem like a terrible human tragedy is unfolding.
    It does, horrible to think of.
    "Brexit: like watching a library being burned down by people who can't read"

Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    That can’t be right, can it? One assumes there must be other exits for the purpose of escape, although the fact that all of the crew got off and none of the passengers (according to early reports) suggests otherwise.
    Discussion elsewhere suggests that US rules would have insisted on a second exit hatch, at lest 32" square. The diagram posted is just to show the bunk layout, not important safety features. Here's the cabin:

"Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

The US Coast Guard has stringent design standards and annual inspections for passenger vessels. I find it hard to imagine a scenario where one entrance with no alternative means of escape would have been allowed. It will be interesting to see what is discovered once the official accident investigation is initiated.
    This is a horrifying tragedy and will be forever used as an example of the failure to ensure passenger safety. Especially since early reports indicate that the crew managed to survive.

"Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
    The US Coast Guard has stringent design standards and annual inspections for passenger vessels. I find it hard to imagine a scenario where one entrance with no alternative means of escape would have been allowed. It will be interesting to see what is discovered once the official accident investigation is initiated.
    This is a horrifying tragedy and will be forever used as an example of the failure to ensure passenger safety. Especially since early reports indicate that the crew managed to survive.
    Shocking.
    I can't understand how this could have happened.
    Need to wait for some facts to come out.

Makes me think twice about carrying the dinghy on the foredeck, where it blocks the hatch.

>Shocking.

I agree.

Second Coast, Ross-shire, overlooking Gruinard Bay.

Quote Originally Posted by lw395 View Post
    Shocking.

Makes me think twice about carrying the dinghy on the foredeck, where it blocks the hatch.
    I'm ashamed I have never thought of that.
    I shall have to think of an alternative, even if involves more inflating/deflating/stowing.
    Thank you
    Kay Sarah Sarah
    57°51.42' N 5°29.44' W

Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast