Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Default Re: Dive boat fire - 30 trapped

Quote Originally Posted by scotty123 View Post
    A comment about USCG when I was over there, was "they are all lake sailors".
    Not sure what you mean by that?

Don't forget the USCG is a military organization. That involves a lot of young and maybe naive 'members' doing what they've been told to and to the best of their ability with little practical knowledge and limited experience.

W.

Quote Originally Posted by PilotWolf View Post
    Not sure what you mean by that?

Don't forget the USCG is a military organization. That involves a lot of young and maybe naive 'members' doing what they've been told to and to the best of their ability with little practical knowledge and limited experience.

W.
    They mean't that there was little actual experience in a marine situation (the kindest way to explain local professional 'sailors' derogatory attitudes to this 'prestigious organisation').

They mean't that there was little actual experience in a marine situation (the kindest way to explain local professional 'sailors' derogatory attitudes to this 'prestigious organisation').
    That was kind of my point BUT not at the fault of the frontline guys in what is pretty much an administive role, doing inspections. Their inexperience 'might' allow operators to pull the wool over their eyes - again I'm not suggesting this was the case here - if that suited the situation.

However look at what the crews are doing in the Bahamas for example to see that for the most part they ARE a very dedicated and prestigious organization. There are also the USCG Auxiliaries who are volunteers that support disaster operations and day to day tasks such as maintaining navaids, teaching safety and doing leisure boat 'inspections' to offer advice (I think the RNLI do or did something similar?), etc.

W.

Quote Originally Posted by PilotWolf View Post
    That was kind of my point BUT not at the fault of the frontline guys in what is pretty much an administive role, doing inspections. Their inexperience 'might' allow operators to pull the wool over their eyes - again I'm not suggesting this was the case here - if that suited the situation.

However look at what the crews are doing in the Bahamas for example to see that for the most part they ARE a very dedicated and prestigious organization. There are also the USCG Auxiliaries who are volunteers that support disaster operations and day to day tasks such as maintaining navaids, teaching safety and doing leisure boat 'inspections' to offer advice (I think the RNLI do or did something similar?), etc.

W.
    Well, my only experience of them, was to ask a bemedalled pair (outside West Marine), for information on local weather forecasts, before an Atlantic crossing. They were totally bewildered & dumbstruck, unable to offer any information at all.

Well, my only experience of them, was to ask a bemedalled pair (outside West Marine), for information on local weather forecasts, before an Atlantic crossing. They were totally bewildered & dumbstruck, unable to offer any information at all.
    I once got a very similar response from the UK coastguard, when I phoned up asking how I might find out what the fog coverage in the channel was.

I would suggest that you'd get the same result if you asked two navy sailors or two MCA employees in the UK.

PW

Doesn't really say anything new.

The wreck has apparently been raised and removed to an undisclosed location. All the bodies have been recovered and identified - hopefully some closure for the families.

Local companies have been advised about training, LiOn batteries, charging and power strips - my last company will collapse without power strips!, as for crew training I won't even go there...

PW
    Last edited by PilotWolf; 15-09-19 at 14:55.

The hotel barge I worked on in France - 1994 so hopefully things have changed - had

no safety briefing for passengers or crew

Definitely only one exit for passengers or we plebs in the front, same goes for hosties in the back

no lifejackets ( we were often on big wide rivers with a considerable current )

no liferaft

no flares

no VHF ( not many mobile phones then but another company did have one )

no fire extinguishers

no first aid ( I happened to have tickets which surprised the British skipper )

- we were often in the middle of nowhere, and the passengers were mostly late middle age to elderly

There was one lifering - I arranged with the skipper I'd grab it and jump in if a passenger went over the side.

This was a well funded highly thought of outfit, the owners were from a serious American nautical backgound.

I'm not saying ' American ' is relevant, just a detail.

When one considers the hoops a ' Coded ' boat owner has to jump through then looks at larger commercial outfits it's surprising sometimes how much money talks.
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

Limited experience of USCG rules & regs. We had a brief honeymoon at the Tides Inn in the Chesapeake area (1991). One of the features was supposed to be their 90ft 1900s iron classic mobo that did crab fest runs round the bay of an evening. Well, when we got there, the USCG had just deemed that though residents were not charged for the trip (it was included in your stay) they considered it 'hire & reward' so the rules applied. The lovely wood interior was a fire risk, so no go.
    The trips were done on an ugly GRP boat, which qualified. Thinking we would like a bit of sailing, we used a small centerboard dinghy for wandering. Out of the half dozen at the dock, there was only one that got close to being servicable. IMHO, it was dangerous, but in the circs, we made the best of it. The others were def a danger to any user. Where were the USCG on that? Or were you supposed to make your own assessment?
    Spool forward a few years and a bunch of my US family rented the old tin boat off them for an evening cruise and dinner. Still the same lovely interior, but we had to stay above deck, apart from heads use. HUH? Naturally there was a sudden storm and we had to get the roll down plastic screens down about the deck houses. Crew were a bit disorganised on that one. The application of the rules seems a bit odd and the idea that the dive boat carried on on older assessment, when a newer boat would have failed....does not gell with the above.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast