Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Dive boat fire - 30 trapped

One thought abour the fire is we saw a yacht tied to a buoy in Bonaire burn down to water level caused by an electrical faiure.

Most of the missing have now been found dead on the seabed. Still a few to be accounted for but, other than the crew, there will be no survivors.

A terrible tragedy.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Wilson View Post
    I'm ashamed I have never thought of that.
    I shall have to think of an alternative, even if involves more inflating/deflating/stowing.
    I hesitate to divert the thread off into practical discussions of dinghy handling, but assuming a normal yacht inflatable it seems to me that a knife stowed nearby - to cut either the lashings or the dinghy itself - would be sufficient to allow escape if needed.

A good point, though.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by prv View Post
    I hesitate to divert the thread off into practical discussions of dinghy handling, but assuming a normal yacht inflatable it seems to me that a knife stowed nearby - to cut either the lashings or the dinghy itself - would be sufficient to allow escape if needed.

A good point, though.

Pete
    Surely though, if you are down below trying to escape, you won’t be able to get to the knife or the lashings as you would have to open the hatch to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by prv View Post

A good point, though.

Pete
    Not if you couldn't open the hatch enough to wield the knife.

The only bit of safety briefing I give to everyone who comes on the boat is to point out that the fore hatch is a means of escape in an emergency.

stingo is offline Account Closed (By user's request)

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    Most of the missing have now been found dead on the seabed. Still a few to be accounted for but, other than the crew, there will be no survivors.

A terrible tragedy.

Richard
    Sounds like very poor journalism: if they were trapped inside, how did they end up on the seabed?

Quote Originally Posted by stingo View Post
    Sounds like very poor journalism: if they were trapped inside, how did they end up on the seabed?
    Is that a serious question? boat burnt to waterline, sank, bodies floated out maybe ?

Brian
    Kddpowercentre VASR charge

Quote Originally Posted by halcyon View Post
    Is that a serious question? boat burnt to waterline, sank, bodies floated out maybe ?
    There are a lot of conflicting stories, but as far as I can see, some hours after the fire was over the boat turned over and sank. The most recent reports say that it's upside down on the bottom in 60 feet of water, and that the bodies they haven't recovered are believed to be underneath the wreck - having, presumably, fallen out as it sank.
    Last edited by JumbleDuck; 03-09-19 at 19:19.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Unfortunately in my experience the USCG isn't actually that good at making sure the rules are adhered to or that owners and operators are held accountable.

PW

stingo is offline Account Closed (By user's request)

Quote Originally Posted by halcyon View Post

Brian
    See #7. Doesn't look very sunk to me.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast