Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Default Re: Dive boat fire - 30 trapped

Quote Originally Posted by Leighb View Post
    Surely though, if you are down below trying to escape, you won’t be able to get to the knife or the lashings as you would have to open the hatch to do so.
    I was assuming the knife would be mounted in the cabin (where would you put it in the middle of a typical foredeck?), but it's a fair point about the hatch. I was thinking of my own dinghy arrangement, which is upside down over the hatch, which opens 18" or so into the body of the dinghy. You couldn't get out directly with the dinghy lashed down, but you could easily reach around the hatch lid to slash through the PVC bottom of the dinghy and then the hatch would open all the way. But of course not everybody's stowage is the same as mine, so I accept it's not a generally applicable solution.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by stingo View Post
    See #7. Doesn't look very sunk to me.
    "Divers will attempt to stabilise the 75ft-long (23m) vessel, the Conception, to recover the remaining victims.The vessel is upside down in more than 60ft of water, officials said."

from https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-49571213

Second Coast, Ross-shire, overlooking Gruinard Bay.

Quote Originally Posted by prv View Post
    I was assuming the knife would be mounted in the cabin (where would you put it in the middle of a typical foredeck?), but it's a fair point about the hatch. I was thinking of my own dinghy arrangement, which is upside down over the hatch, which opens 18" or so into the body of the dinghy. You couldn't get out directly with the dinghy lashed down, but you could easily reach around the hatch lid to slash through the PVC bottom of the dinghy and then the hatch would open all the way. But of course not everybody's stowage is the same as mine, so I accept it's not a generally applicable solution.

Pete
    Yes, its a distinct possibility for some arrangements. I'll have to investigate mine to see if the knife/hatch idea is ok.

I'd like an rapid self-inflating dinghy as with mine on the foredeck its v. difficult to get safely to the anchor, furling drum etc.in a hurry.
    I assume there isn't such a thing (without a large enough on-board supply of compressed air cylinders)?
    Kay Sarah Sarah
    57°51.42' N 5°29.44' W

Quote Originally Posted by prv View Post
    I hesitate to divert the thread off into practical discussions of dinghy handling, but assuming a normal yacht inflatable it seems to me that a knife stowed nearby - to cut either the lashings or the dinghy itself - would be sufficient to allow escape if needed.

A good point, though.

Pete
    Got to be able to open the hatch first, to access any lashings from below.
    If dinghy is lashed down securely, it would be impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by scotty123 View Post
    See #21.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by stingo View Post
    See #7. Doesn't look very sunk to me.
    See #18. It appears that it floated for a while after the fire was extinguished then (in some order) capsized and sank.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

This USCG link includes a chilling vid depicting the intensity of the fire which burnt the vessel down to the waterline before it sank.

https://content.govdelivery.com/acco...letins/25cc3ad

The inquiry will make sober reading.

I've rummaged out a snapshackle which will be used to secure the dinghy transom to the babystay fitting.
    Should be releasable from below, by opening the hatch a few inches.

I once had the dinghy on the foredeck and couldn't easily get out from below to talk to someone, as I had the companionway apart to get at the engine.

Yeah, agree. Too early to say for sure but seems it could well be the fumes that got people very quickly. Surprising how few people take that into account in tragic fires. If you have to mess about even briefly to cut your way through a dinghy, it may well be too late.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Wilson View Post
    I'd like an rapid self-inflating dinghy as with mine on the foredeck its v. difficult to get safely to the anchor, furling drum etc.in a hurry.
    I assume there isn't such a thing (without a large enough on-board supply of compressed air cylinders)?
    I think you'd need to be looking at high-volume electric pumps. There are plenty of moderately-priced ones which are effective enough to be useful, but for truly "rapid" inflation I think you'd be needing something quite high-end. The Scoprega Turbo-Max does 1000 litres per minute at dinghy pressures (be aware that a lot of pumps now are aimed at paddleboards, which have a different pressure/volume tradeoff), albeit it sucks current like an anchor windlass while doing it

Pete

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast