Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Default Re: Dive boat fire - 30 trapped

JD's cabin pic in post #5 certainly raises a fire concern.

Flame retardants used to impregnate soft furnishings are designed to alter the chemistry of the burning process and slow it to a level which passes the relevant regulatory fire test.

Trouble is that in an established blazing fire (perhaps fuel based?), some of these chemicals can increase the toxicity of smoke and in the case of the tragic Grenfall Fire, increased the concentration of carbon monoxide and hydrogen cyanide.

Accident investigators in Santa Cruz will no doubt focus on the concentration of so much soft foam and fabric within the enclosed below deck spaces, which may in turn have caused backdrafts, poisoning, and other horrors.

We'll have to wait and see.
    Last edited by dom; 04-09-19 at 12:10. Reason: repeated word

Quote Originally Posted by lw395 View Post
    Shocking.
    I can't understand how this could have happened.
    Need to wait for some facts to come out.

Makes me think twice about carrying the dinghy on the foredeck, where it blocks the hatch.
    We recently decided to remove the canvas forehatch cover while at sea. The hatch cannot be opened otherwise.
    Ω

Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post

Flame retardants used to impregnate soft furnishings are designed to alter the chemistry of the burning process and slow it to a level which passes the relevant regulatory fire test.

Trouble is that in an established blazing fire (perhaps fuel based?), some of these chemicals can increase the toxicity of smoke more toxic and in the case of the tragic Grenfall Fire, increased the concentration of carbon monoxide and hydrogen cyanide..
    I'm not sure any fire retardant soft furnishing would do well housed in a a fire burning in something made of petro-chemicals.

Have you ever seen GRP burn? Its nigh on unstoppable.

Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    I was thinking of booking a cruise for my other half (who does not sail) and myself on the VIC32 puffer ... until I went round her last year and saw the sleeping accommodation. Tiny cabins buried at the bottom of the boat - quite apart from the cramped squalor (for £1000/week!) I have never seen such a death trap. The Conception's accommodation was spacious in comparison, but even so I can't imagine 30+ people all trying to get out at the same time through thick smoke at night. Or rather, I can imagine it, all too easily. Shudder.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

There is a plan of Conception here:

https://www.ocregister.com/2019/09/0...annel-islands/

the only thing approximating to an escape hatch is at the bow, nothing (apparently) near the sleeping quarters, am lost as to how this passed regulatory muster..

Quote Originally Posted by RivalRedwing View Post
    There is a plan of Conception here:

https://www.ocregister.com/2019/09/0...annel-islands/

the only thing approximating to an escape hatch is at the bow, nothing (apparently) near the sleeping quarters, am lost as to how this passed regulatory muster..
    So to get from the sleeping quarters to the escape hatch you have to pass by the foot of the stairs - a fire in the stairwell cuts you off from both.

Quote Originally Posted by bedouin View Post
    So to get from the sleeping quarters to the escape hatch you have to pass by the foot of the stairs - a fire in the stairwell cuts you off from both.
    If that diagram is correct (and it is in accordance with the berth layout plan), the escape hatch only serves the shower room, with no way from berths to showers and heads save by going up to the galley and back down again. Surely that can't be right? Escape routes aside, wouldn't people want a level route to the toilets?
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    See #21.

Richard
    I have & still don't believe you could do it in any emergency.

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    I was thinking of booking a cruise for my other half (who does not sail) and myself on the VIC32 puffer ... until I went round her last year and saw the sleeping accommodation. Tiny cabins buried at the bottom of the boat - quite apart from the cramped squalor (for £1000/week!) I have never seen such a death trap. The Conception's accommodation was spacious in comparison, but even so I can't imagine 30+ people all trying to get out at the same time through thick smoke at night. Or rather, I can imagine it, all too easily. Shudder.
    You'd not be happy with a traditional scottish fishing boat then, hatch aft of wheelhouse, long drop into crews bunkroom just aft of engine room, bunks all snug slots along the hull. Try getting out of that in a hurry.

I'm curious as to how a fire developed, assuming that crew was on watch. Someone should have been awake... or did they all snooze?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast