Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Dive boat fire - 30 trapped

Quote Originally Posted by scotty123 View Post
    You'd not be happy with a traditional scottish fishing boat then, hatch aft of wheelhouse, long drop into crews bunkroom just aft of engine room, bunks all snug slots along the hull. Try getting out of that in a hurry.
    I've been in the skipper's cabin - below deck level and above the engine - in the VIC27. Similar setup. Eeek.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

I've read elsewhere (Sailing Anarchy) that there may have been a second escape hatch at the aft end of the compartment, maybe 600mm square and accessed from a top bunk. I've not seen where it would emerge, but I can't see that can be anywhere other than inside the accommodation above. (Someone posted a picture showing a hatch on the aft deck, but that's almost certainly down to the engine space.

It's also said that she was built of wood, cooking was all electric, that there was an explosion heard on the shore. The speculation is that dinghy fuel may have been the source..

The LA Times is reporting boat was actually wooden construction, according to coastguard records - I wonder if it was later clad in GRP.

There is also a rumor now that it may have started near photography equipment which used Lion batteries - there is nothing to support this and IIRC the USCG doesn't allow them on passenger vessels.

It's also interesting that every one that has any knowledge of the company, crew and vessels has nothing but praise. From experience when something like this happens someone crawls out of the woodwork looking to make a name for themselves about how bad things were.

I also wonder if the design would be accepted to meet the construction requirements and CFRs of today. Th re are a lot of companies that have had their vessels Granfathered in with licensing as it would be impossible to make the vessel comply with the newer standards.

Also and this isn't meant to refer to any suspicions about this case but I've noticed an extreme range of experience of the coastguard guys who do the inspections. On the last inspection I was involved with one of th surveyors was 'getting signed off, I have a GMDSS radio licence - he had never seen one and it took a lot of convincing and googling to get him to believe it was a genuine licence. Others have been more like instructional visits on how to improve things and new ideas how to achieve the end result. This and again I'm in no way suggesting this happened at this company, allows for a lot of 'winging it' if that's the way the company chooses to operate.

The company were advertising for a Master and a Mate, and renewed the ad just the day before this happened, I had considered applying but they required the crew to be dive certified and I can barely stay afloat in the water let alone have the nerve to be under it.

W.
    Last edited by PilotWolf; 05-09-19 at 21:58.

Quote Originally Posted by PilotWolf View Post
    It's also interesting that every one that has any knowledge of the company, crew and vessels has nothing but praise. From experience when something like this happens someone crawls out of the woodwork looking to make a name for themselves about how bad things were.
    That is what I saw in discussions elsewhere - fulsome praise, not a sniff of criticism.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

"Content Not Available in Your Region" - UK
    Gosport NCI - Call us on Ch 65 for a radio check if passing.

The LA Times is reporting boat was actually wooden construction, according to coastguard records - I wonder if it was later clad in GRP.

There is also a rumor now that it may have started near photography equipment which used Lion batteries - there is nothing to support this and IIRC the USCG doesn't allow them on passenger vessels.

W.
    LiIon batteries are in everything.
    I would imagine every dive boat is going to have several cameras, lights etc with Lithium batteries in of various sorts?
    These things are normally pretty safe, there was a period when certain laptops had a habit of turning into flares, but that's a long time ago and very few people manage to set fire to batteries these days.
    There have been instances involving using the wrong charger AIUI.
    I would have concerns about chargers malfunctioning when used with an incompatible shipboard supply, such as from some inverters and generators.

Sadly these phone recharge packs seem to be prone to trouble. Just the other day one caught fir on a China Airlines flight. Fortunately in the cabin, not the hold and was quickly dealt with. Of course Im not suggesting that as the cause in this case but something else to be aware of on board.

I also wonder if the design would be accepted to meet the construction requirements and CFRs of today. Th re are a lot of companies that have had their vessels Granfathered in with licensing as it would be impossible to make the vessel comply with the newer standards.

Also and this isn't meant to refer to any suspicions about this case but I've noticed an extreme range of experience of the coastguard guys who do the inspections. On the last inspection I was involved with one of th surveyors was 'getting signed off, I have a GMDSS radio licence - he had never seen one and it took a lot of convincing and googling to get him to believe it was a genuine licence. Others have been more like instructional visits on how to improve things and new ideas how to achieve the end result. This and again I'm in no way suggesting this happened at this company, allows for a lot of 'winging it' if that's the way the company chooses to operate.

The company were advertising for a Master and a Mate, and renewed the ad just the day before this happened, I had considered applying but they required the crew to be dive certified and I can barely stay afloat in the water let alone have the nerve to be under it.

W.
    A comment about USCG when I was over there, was "they are all lake sailors".

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast