Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567

Default Re: Dive boat fire - 30 trapped

Latest on the news here.

Conception Boat Fire: Vessel Owner Suspends All Operations Amid Investigation
    http://on.ktla.com/5Mofk

If the chef felt it was that bad why did he stay? I made huge fuss over safety issues at my previous compmay and it ultimately cost me my job but at least I know my concerns are on rocked.

PW

Shoreham - up the river without a paddle.

"sorry this content is not available in your region"
    Perhaps you could 'cut and paraphraste' for us limeys please?

Reuters story here: https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-ca...-idUKKBN1WG4VM

The dive company appears to have ceased operations, apparently after coming under sustained pressure. And another reference to the dangers of lithium ion batts and chargers.

Quote Originally Posted by SAPurdie View Post
    "sorry this content is not available in your region"
    Perhaps you could 'cut and paraphraste' for us limeys please?
    I think the same story is at https://www.latimes.com/california/s...investigations. Same headline, anyway.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    I think the same story is at https://www.latimes.com/california/s...investigations. Same headline, anyway.
    Not sure why there is all this unavailable news in different counties but anyway.

Truth Aquatics Suspends Operations Amid Conception Boat Fire Investigion
    >
    The owner of a scuba diving boat company announced Tuesday a voluntary indefinite suspension of its fleet in the wake of the Conception boat fire off the Santa Barbara coast that killed 34 people.

Truth Aquatics Inc. posted on its Facebook page that the company will "dedicate our entire efforts to make our boats models of new regulations" in collaboration with the Coast Guard and the National Transportation Safety Board.

Federal authorities are investigating the Sept. 2 fire aboard the Conception in ongoing criminal and safety inquiries. Investigators concluded their examination of the vessel Friday in Port Hueneme, a naval base northwest of Los Angeles, without determining the blaze's cause . However, pieces of the boat have been sent to labs for additional testing as officials pore through hundreds of documents seized from Truth Aquatics' office in Santa Barbara.

While NTSB member Jennifer Homendy has expressed concern about the Conception's escape hatch, Coast Guard records show the boat passed its two most recent inspections with no safety violations. Authorities have said, however, all six crew members were asleep when the pre-dawn fire started — even though Coast Guard regulations require a "roving" night watch.

Thirty-three passengers and one crew member were trapped below deck and died during the three-day scuba diving excursion of the Channel Islands.

The company's Facebook post states customers have been requesting tours since the fire and the owners appreciate the support. The company's two other boats have not returned to sea since the disaster last month.

Meanwhile, the owners, the Fritzler family, preemptively filed a federal lawsuit under a pre-Civil War maritime law that shields boat owners from monetary damages in a disaster at sea. Separately, Ryan Sims, a cook on the vessel who broke his leg trying to escape the flames, claimed in his own lawsuit that the boat was unseaworthy and operated in an unsafe manner.

Members of the diving community have rallied around Truth Aquatics and the Fritzlers. Some have created a private Facebook group called "We Support Truth Aquatics," which has nearly 200 members, and a GoFundMe fundraiser has accumulated more than $18,000 to aid the company's crew members who are now out of work due to the suspension of the fleet.

The Divers Alert Network has separately raised more than $197,000 for the families of the victims.

W.
    Last edited by PilotWolf; 02-10-19 at 14:54.

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

«*....the owners, the Fritzler family, preemptively filed a federal lawsuit under a pre-Civil War maritime law that shields boat owners from monetary damages in a disaster at sea. Separately, Ryan Sims, a cook on the vessel who broke his leg trying to escape the flames, claimed in his own lawsuit that the boat was unseaworthy and operated in an unsafe manner...*»

Normal stuff. The owners, or to be more accurate the owners’ insurers, are seeking to establish a limitation fund and the claimants are seeking to break limitation. In the States the limitation fund is the value of the vessel; we do it differently *here in Europe.

It takes a brave or a foolish man to practice marine insurance in the States. Don’t ask me how I know this.
    Last edited by Kukri; 02-10-19 at 16:00.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567