Default Garmin gs165 and quantum radar

I have a c120 classic on both upper and lower helm.

The radar ( which I never use ) is not working. I have not looked at it at all yet so it maybe a simple fix.

However browsing eBay as you do ... a gs165 and quantum radar can be had for £2500-£3000 ish.

Seems like a nice bit of kit and it will repeat onto an iPad

I wondered about putting this on the upper helm, it seems to have the right connection for autohelm etc that I have

This then gives the new one and radar up top. Down below I have the c120 which gets used maybe once a year. If I wanted radar I can see it on the iPad.

I just wondered if there was a flaw to this plan other than the plotters not matching ?

I have not used a gs165 so views on that appreciated.

Default Re: Garmin gs165 and quantum radar

Garmin and Raymarine do not always talk to each other and older systems do not talk well to new systems. worth a call to there customer service desks to see what will talk to what.
    [URL="https://www.facebook.com/buoyfun/[URL]
    Mendezmarine.co.uk

Oops. I meant Raymarine gs165 !

Not sure if I can edit the title !

No I can’t. Don’t suppose a moderator can change it please to Raymarine !

I don’t know the gs165 product. But we have an E90W at the helm, then added a newer e7 plotter below connected to a Quantum radome. Works fine for us.
    The Quantum cannot display radar on the E90W - but as you note, it can be mirrored on an iPad, so in the rare occasions that we really need radar we use the iPad. With two people it is better that way, helm using main plotter for course and navigation checks, with skipper using iPad for target monitoring and collision avoidance.
    One issue is that the plotters can’t share charting. Hence we need to buy two sets of Navionics charts - a hassle if cruise in a wide range of areas, not material if stick to one Navionics chart area.