Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    404

    Default Lost Dinghy and outboard

    Unfortunately we lost out Zodic fastroller and suzuki outboard last wednesday from old grimsby in the scillies.
    It was a strong SW wind during the night so is suspect it is somewhere in the Irish sea.
    It had a few large patches on it but otherwise no markings.
    I suspect there is little chance of finding it but i have informed MCA in case it is reported.
    We were without a dinghy for the rest of the time but managed to get lifts from a variety of kind people and the offer to borrow a spare dinghy from Scilypete.
    Pete was a fount of local knowledge and spent some time with us . Thank you Peter

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Posts
    15,477

    Default Re: Lost Dinghy and outboard

    I presume you had a good look around the various islands in St Helens Pool?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    498

    Default Re: Lost Dinghy and outboard

    Edit - need Specsavers.
    Last edited by Moderator; 04-09-19 at 06:22.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Where life is good
    Posts
    13,898

    Default Re: Lost Dinghy and outboard

    Do read before posting... Especially the bit where he says he has informed the MCA... The Marine Coastguard Agency:
    Life is too short to drink bad wine.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    404

    Default Re: Lost Dinghy and outboard

    thanks tomahawk
    yes we looked in st helens and around st martins but no sign. First time ever happened to us but not uncommon to find washed up dinghies in scillies apparently

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Grenoble
    Posts
    31,369

    Default Re: Lost Dinghy and outboard

    Quote Originally Posted by owen View Post
    thanks tomahawk
    yes we looked in st helens and around st martins but no sign. First time ever happened to us but not uncommon to find washed up dinghies in scillies apparently
    A few years ago I came across one a few miles out from the Scillies on passage from Ireland, reported to the coastguard and after receiving no response gave it to Pete to sell for or donate to the local lifeboat fund unless it was claimed.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Argyll
    Posts
    865

    Default Re: Lost Dinghy and outboard

    We lost ours in Loch Greshornish in Skye 4 years ago in 40 knot winds. The painter snapped but we had the oars and outboard on the mother ship. For some bizarre reason we carried 2 dinghies at that point so we found it again quite quickly. Recovery was a nightmare so from then on the Loch was known as Loch Grimshite for a while. I lost my job by phone half way through the recovery so it has pretty awful memories!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Me - Zumerzet Boat - Wareham
    Posts
    12,214

    Default Re: Lost Dinghy and outboard

    Quote Originally Posted by owen View Post
    It had a few large patches on it but otherwise no markings.
    Tut Tut !
    SSR
    MMSI
    Mob #
    Any of the above would do, when I was insured with Pants a Q that they asked was about identification marks on inflatable and OB.
    (Boat name isn't a good idea as 'scrotes' can see which boats are unoccupied)
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Algarve
    Posts
    9,320

    Default Re: Lost Dinghy and outboard

    Quote Originally Posted by Shuggy View Post
    We lost ours in Loch Greshornish in Skye 4 years ago in 40 knot winds. The painter snapped but we had the oars and outboard on the mother ship. For some bizarre reason we carried 2 dinghies at that point so we found it again quite quickly. Recovery was a nightmare so from then on the Loch was known as Loch Grimshite for a while. I lost my job by phone half way through the recovery so it has pretty awful memories!
    Were you supposed to be at work that day?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Argyll
    Posts
    865

    Default Re: Lost Dinghy and outboard

    Quote Originally Posted by stingo View Post
    Were you supposed to be at work that day?
    Probably would have been a better move!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to