Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 31 to 39 of 39
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Me - Zumerzet Boat - Wareham
    Posts
    12,284

    Default Re: AIS net marker buoys

    Maybe some useful reading HERE
    Particularly Class A SOTDMA and Class B CSTDMA
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,572

    Default Re: AIS net marker buoys

    Quote Originally Posted by LadyInBed View Post
    Maybe some useful reading HERE
    Particularly Class A SOTDMA and Class B CSTDMA
    Just to add some more confusion some of the newer Class B transponders are now also SOTDMA like class A
    Now Sailing Bluenote II Hanse 301 based Y Felinheli Dock.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    38,227

    Default Re: AIS net marker buoys

    Quote Originally Posted by rszemeti View Post
    I would very much doubt it is only position ... even the cheapest, most basic GPS chip outputs speed/heading sentences .. I find it hard to believe they would not transmit that data, as they have it, and it is part of the AIS packet by default.
    You're probably right.
    But I don't understand the enthusiasm for an illegal device which transmits its position to the authorities every 3 minutes.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Boat Orwell - Me Norwich
    Posts
    8,227

    Default Re: AIS net marker buoys

    Quote Originally Posted by dgadee View Post
    I remember forests of flagged pots as I was going up the east coast of England.
    The forests of flagged pots are less of a problem than the dense undergrowth of unflagged ones!

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,555

    Default Re: AIS net marker buoys

    Quote Originally Posted by lw395 View Post
    You're probably right.
    But I don't understand the enthusiasm for an illegal device which transmits its position to the authorities every 3 minutes.
    Assuming you can reprogram the MMSI - the one provided you can - how would the "authorities" spot the device was illegal?

    And if they did - and actually took some action - what action would you expect? I'd expect confiscation and told not to do it again while you say 'so sorry - didn't know it was "illegal" coz the manufacturer listed a load of standard and I didn't know to look for CE'

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    2,334

    Default Re: AIS net marker buoys

    Quote Originally Posted by LadyInBed View Post
    Both links are to American articles, it would be nice to know what the UK position is, especially if you can buy them and programme in your own MMSI.
    american ais kit has to be programmed by selling dealer, owners are not allowed to put in the mmsi.
    David

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Me: Johannesburg South Africa Yacht: Richards Bay East Coast Africa
    Posts
    7,125

    Default Re: AIS net marker buoys

    Quote Originally Posted by david_bagshaw View Post
    american ais kit has to be programmed by selling dealer, owners are not allowed to put in the mmsi.
    That is true for EPIRB's but I programed my MMSI in my DSC radio myself and you may program the MMSI number into an AIS transponder. I purchased my DSC radio directly from the US and was collected personally from the US

    A net marker is a simple form of AIS transponder well transmitter actually.
    Last edited by Rogershaw; 12-09-19 at 17:37.
    Life is too short not to have a sea view
    Distantshaws tinyurl.com/yclt6l68

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,555

    Default Re: AIS net marker buoys

    And certainly the one posted comes with software to program

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    2,334

    Default Re: AIS net marker buoys

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogershaw View Post
    That is true for EPIRB's but I programed my MMSI in my DSC radio myself and you may program the MMSI number into an AIS transponder. I purchased my DSC radio directly from the US and was collected personally from the US

    A net marker is a simple form of AIS transponder well transmitter actually.
    Interesting, I stand corrected, i was only going on the instructions of a digital yacht ais, which clearly states it is against american law for the owner to program the device.
    David

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to