Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default AIS net marker buoys

Have these any 'legal' application for leisure boaters?
    I see that they are around £130 and can be programmed to display yacht details. They look robust and have long lasting rechargeable batteries.
    I can envisage one going overboard with my danbuoy or even instead of it and it could augment my receive only AIS.
    Are there different regulations concerning their use in different countries. I have not seen one displayed on our own AIS so perhaps they are not widely used?

Default Re: AIS net marker buoys

These net buoys are considered illegal. Check them out. Moreover only for use to you as they probably do not convey that an urgent situation exists.
    Eastern Scotland and beyond.

Your Ship's Licence covers any type-approved equipment on your boat that emits a radio signal, e.g. EPIRBs, PLBs, AIS, handheld VHF etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Bilgediver View Post
    These net buoys are considered illegal.
    By who? Please expand.
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit (of Glenans) View Post
    Your Ship's Licence covers any type-approved equipment on your boat that emits a radio signal, e.g. EPIRBs, PLBs, AIS, handheld VHF etc.
    Only if you apply to have them added

Quote Originally Posted by LadyInBed View Post
    By who? Please expand.
    Looks like they come with the MMSI preprogrammed, which surely makes them illegal to use?

Quote Originally Posted by KompetentKrew View Post
    Looks like they come with the MMSI preprogrammed, which surely makes them illegal to use?

Both links are to American articles, it would be nice to know what the UK position is, especially if you can buy them and programme in your own MMSI.
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

Not automatic. So if you use it as a AIS PLB on a dhan boy:

Needs switched on when chucked in water
    Only updates every 3 mins
    Type of message is an issue... But someone in deck knew of a mob to chuck dhan.

If you use on lifejacket:
    Manual activate only works if conscious
    Doesn't actively alert mothership that it has been activated

Quote Originally Posted by KompetentKrew View Post
    Personal MOB AIS/DCS devices should not be programmed with the parent vessels MMSI, they should come with a pre-programmed MMSI chosen from a pool of MMSI's reserved especially for the purpose.

The current allocation is in the "972" prefix, in the format "972xxyyyy" where xx is a manufacturer ID, and yyyy is a sequence number. AFAIK, the sequence numbers are not unique.

UK made net marking buoys use AIS Aid to Navigation messages which means they are supposed to use a MMSI issued by the MCA/OFCOM and be static (permanent position approved by MCA/OFCOM). Because this can't be the case with a net, they are not legally allowed in UK waters. There is some work being done to get them approved but will take a few years.

Some of the Chinese made devices use the same message but transmit using the AIS search and rescue transponder access to the AIS broadcast which effectively stamps on all other AIS transmissions. The increased use of these by potentially thousands of net markers will block the regular transmissions and lead to AIS ranges being massively reduced.
    Live long and die happy - and may the skin of your arse never cover a banjo. TJ.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast