Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What is this in my engine bay?

Hi all. Firstly hi, Iím a new member (and new boat owner)... found this form useful to date.

Anyway, I have a bit of kit in my engine bay that I donít recognise, and hoping someone could identify what it is/itís function etc.

Unfortunately I donít seem to have an option to add a photo to this thread, so Iíll do my best to describe it.

Itís a metallic block, about 5x2 inches with a plastic/bakerlight top. On one end, the alternator output cable is attached to it, along with a large gauge positive cable (assume this goes to battery). On the other end, thereís also a large gauge ground cable, which is attached directly to the alternator securing arm.

So, this is something to do with power generation... but unsure what it is or why itís there.

The reason I ask is Iíve recently had problems with the battery not charging (10.2vdc out of alternator), the cause being the connection between the ground cable on this unit and alternator was bad, which seemed to be pulling the voltage down on the IGN in supply to alternator. Since Iíve improved this ground cable connection, Iím getting good battery voltage at the IGN cable and 14.2vdc out of the alternator....

So Iím now curious what this block is..?

For info, I have a 1997 Beta 722.

Any advice welcome (inc how to add a photo).

Default Re: What is this in my engine bay?

Quote Originally Posted by Swenns Dad View Post
    Hi all. Firstly hi, I’m a new member (and new boat owner)... found this form useful to date.

Anyway, I have a bit of kit in my engine bay that I don’t recognise, and hoping someone could identify what it is/it’s function etc.

Unfortunately I don’t seem to have an option to add a photo to this thread, so I’ll do my best to describe it.

It’s a metallic block, about 5x2 inches with a plastic/bakerlight top. On one end, the alternator output cable is attached to it, along with a large gauge positive cable (assume this goes to battery). On the other end, there’s also a large gauge ground cable, which is attached directly to the alternator securing arm.

So, this is something to do with power generation... but unsure what it is or why it’s there.

The reason I ask is I’ve recently had problems with the battery not charging (10.2vdc out of alternator), the cause being the connection between the ground cable on this unit and alternator was bad, which seemed to be pulling the voltage down on the IGN in supply to alternator. Since I’ve improved this ground cable connection, I’m getting good battery voltage at the IGN cable and 14.2vdc out of the alternator....

So I’m now curious what this block is..?

Some sort of Smart Regulator it doesn't have any letters on it does it?

Itís not what Iíd think of as a Ďsmartí regulator.... but may well be! The only writing in it, that I can see is GRD at the ground terminal.
    It looks old.... if I could add a photo it would help.

Just replied... but canít see it! Anyway, no real identifying marks on it and looks very old... so doubt itís a smart anything.... but who knows!

Quote Originally Posted by Swenns Dad View Post
    Hi all. Firstly hi, I’m a new member (and new boat owner)... found this form useful to date.

Anyway, I have a bit of kit in my engine bay that I don’t recognise, and hoping someone could identify what it is/it’s function etc.

Unfortunately I don’t seem to have an option to add a photo to this thread, so I’ll do my best to describe it.

It’s a metallic block, about 5x2 inches with a plastic/bakerlight top. On one end, the alternator output cable is attached to it, along with a large gauge positive cable (assume this goes to battery). On the other end, there’s also a large gauge ground cable, which is attached directly to the alternator securing arm.

So, this is something to do with power generation... but unsure what it is or why it’s there.

The reason I ask is I’ve recently had problems with the battery not charging (10.2vdc out of alternator), the cause being the connection between the ground cable on this unit and alternator was bad, which seemed to be pulling the voltage down on the IGN in supply to alternator. Since I’ve improved this ground cable connection, I’m getting good battery voltage at the IGN cable and 14.2vdc out of the alternator....

So I’m now curious what this block is..?

You cannot add photos as a new user. I think 5 posts is the qualifying number to get this and other privileges

Are you saying that this "bit of kit" only has two connections, with heavy cables to alternator and battery on one and a heavy ground connection on the other ?

Hi there. There are 3 connections on this block. One is the output from the alternator, the two others are heavy gauge (maybe c.6mm2) cables (one ground, attached to alternator and the other is a brown (assume live) which I assume goes to batteries) .

Cheers

I'll send you a private message with my email address. Send me the picture and I'll put it up here.

Quote Originally Posted by anoccasionalyachtsman View Post
    Is it some kind of ballast resistor with the metal block acting as a heat sink?

External regulator for the alternator?
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast