Default Testing winch solenoid

My ZJSF-41-12v solenoid for my Lofrans winch became stuck in the up mode.[foot switches]. I presumed that the contacts had arced and got stuck when the overide thermal fuse kicked in. Now removed from the boat and at home I dismantled it and presumed it freed itself.

Is there a way to test it here before returning to the boat- I will need it next weekend, but I might need to buy another.

Diagrams from the internet don't seem to help me.

Thank you.

Default Re: Testing winch solenoid

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy32 View Post
    My ZJSF-41-12v solenoid for my Lofrans winch became stuck in the up mode.[foot switches]. I presumed that the contacts had arced and got stuck when the overide thermal fuse kicked in. Now removed from the boat and at home I dismantled it and presumed it freed itself.

Is there a way to test it here before returning to the boat- I will need it next weekend, but I might need to buy another.

Diagrams from the internet don't seem to help me.

Thank you.
    If its anything like a Lofrans solenoid we used to have, you can take it apart very easily. The contacts are obvious and it's easy to clean them up with emery cloth etc.

You can check if the solenoid is acting by putting 12 volts from a PSU or car battery across the solenoid coils. (You can work out which the terminals are very easily IMHO) and listen for the loud 'clunk' and the thing jumping with the weight of the solenoid soft iron core moving inside

If the solenoids (mine have two separate coils and sets of contacts in the one package) make a healthy 'clunk' when you put 12 volts on them, and the contacts inside are clean, then you're pretty well guaranteed that the thing is working ok.
    Semper aliud

I would be more inclined to suspect the foot switch.

Further to what John said, 12v on solenoid, plus multimeter on ohms range on output terminals.
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

Quote Originally Posted by LadyInBed View Post
    Further to what John said, 12v on solenoid, plus multimeter on ohms range on output terminals.
    Exactly. However I wasn't confident that the OP would have a multimeter if he was asking the question...

I hope he manages to test it and it's all working ok and his windlass springs back to life.
    Semper aliud

Quote Originally Posted by awol View Post
    I would be more inclined to suspect the foot switch.
    So would i.
    Rainbow Marine.
    www.rainbowmarine.co.uk

Foot switches were checked and normally need to be replaced every season as the area is open to the weather and sea.
    John Morris's reply had the answer, a mental blockage with me, - boat was damaged in a collision and one either cries or has a heart attack.

Now fixed. Many thanks.

Get a digital multi meter, great for testing stuff like this.
    Once you have one you will never know how you lived without it

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy32 View Post
    Foot switches were checked and normally need to be replaced every season as the area is open to the weather and sea..
    That’s odd because the foot switches I fitted to our foredeck 14 years ago are still working perfectly...

However I’m delighted that you’ve reported that the problem is solved.
    Semper aliud