Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Anchorage near Lymington

Have you looked at Google Maps? They seem to have driven their Street View car all round the sea wall. Or maybe a camera on a bike - anyway some good pictures there.
    ۞

Not directly relevant but before Google earth and maps came along I read that ditch crawlers, DCA and cruising Wayfarers favoured OS maps over charts for shallow water details, Dylan Winter called it Thin water sailing. I've got 1:50 000 on my computer but I reckon you would want 1:25 000'for that .

Quote Originally Posted by SteveIOW View Post
    Thanks for the responses though doesn't appear that other forumites have used Oxey Lake. (Maybe that should be telling me something). Never the less I intend to have a go at getting up to the Moses Dock channel sometime. Will go in at half flood when mud banks are still visible and channels more obvious. Doesn't appear to be any buoyage or withies. Pennington sea wall looks steep to so should be fairly easy to dinghy ashore at HW - and only 10 - 15 minutes walk to Chequers Inn at Lower Pennington. Always nice to have a pub to justify the effort.
    Google found a good photo of a restored yacht off Moses Dock but me not clever enough to paste it into this thread.
    Here you are
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Now shall the gentleman haul and draw with the mariner"
    John Hawkins

Thank you for posting the photos. The first one is up beyond Moses Dock gate and even nearer the Chequers Inn pub. The second photo, with masts raised, is downstream of the gate. I think the vessel is a restored RN cutter which probably has lifting centre plate so little draft. Google Earth street view shows this same vessel at low tide. Lots of mud and not much water. I may anchor further downstream as suggested in earlier post.

Agree with comment that OS maps more useful than charts when venturing up creeks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12