Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Lazyjacks re-think

This may not work, or even be worth trying...just a thought. The long down-parts on my lazyjacks are a pain, leading to the shroud bases. These tails almost double the length of line required, they tangle easily and aren't close to hand when I need to adjust them.

I'm thinking that if the line on each side began at the spreaders and led down through the usual triangles to the boom, the aftermost part of which was adjustable with a boom-mounted clam-cleat, then the tension could still be altered but the amount of rope needed could be much reduced.

Also, is there an overpowering reason why lazyjacks are attached close to the mast, rather than out on the spreaders? If the lines could be spread (permanently, or temporarily with an adjuster), there'd be much less snagging of battens.

Default Re: Lazyjacks re-think

Mine start on the boom.
    Go up to a block on the spreaders
    Then back down to a cleat at the goosneck.

They are over length so they can be released and the middle lead all the way back to goosneck so there is nothing to catch the battens when hauling the main.
    Life is too short to drink bad wine.

Ours come down to cleats on the mast near the gooseneck. We’ve never had any problems except taking care to look aloft when hoisting the main. I don’t usually touch them or adjust them in any way.
    Semper aliud

On my boat they are rigged as you suggest. There is a fixed length of rope attached to the middle of the upper spreader with the top block of the cascade on the other end. The bottom rope of the cascade passes through all the various blocks and ends on a cleat on the boom near the gooseneck. There is enough spare rope there to all the whole system to be pulled in against the mast if required. In practice I very rarely adjust them. I raise the boom a little to give enough slack to ease fitting of the sail cover.

System is fine in principle, subject to spreader specs and lazyjack loads. I’ve seen a broken mast following a bust spreader as a consequence of such a system, but on the other hand it works fine on many boats. Other option is to rig from mast and open slot with lightweight bungy.

Prob best to ask the spreader manufacturer or rigger before installation

Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    I reckon that's probably overkill on an elderly dinghy

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by prv View Post
    I reckon that's probably overkill on an elderly dinghy

Pete
    Good point, non-trivial exercise fitting lazy jacks to my Laser

Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    System is fine in principle, subject to spreader specs and lazyjack loads. I’ve seen a broken mast following a bust spreader as a consequence of such a system, but on the other hand it works fine on many boats. Other option is to rig from mast and open slot with lightweight bungy.

Good point. As I understand it the spreaders should be strong enough to support the weight of a rigger standing on them. But probably a good idea to ensure that the lazy jack ropes are not too strong. No comments on ours in the rig inspection just after we bought the boat. You've now got me thinking about adding a hanger from the mast to support the middle of the spreaders where the lazy jacks are attached.
    ۞

The solution has got to be full length battens
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

Quote Originally Posted by dancrane View Post

Also, is there an overpowering reason why lazyjacks are attached close to the mast, rather than out on the spreaders? If the lines could be spread (permanently, or temporarily with an adjuster), there'd be much less snagging of battens.
    They need to be close to the mast to pivot with the sail/boom when sailing (unless you remove them). If they, for example, went to the end of the spreaders it would pull tight as you have the boom on the opposite side.
    Live long and die happy - and may the skin of your arse never cover a banjo. TJ.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast