Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Default Re: Is anybody going to Cannes?

Quote Originally Posted by Time Out View Post
    I don't think thre is a proper definition of qualified Comes down to no cash, no splash!

ODYSSEY
    Out of interest how do you qualify somebody for their ability to buy a 40m yacht? If a Russian or Chinese guy youíve never seen walks on to your super yacht and demands a tour what do you do?

Nine times out of ten they will be with their own broker (very common in the large yacht sector) if they are not and Cannes has more walk ups than other shows, then we will sit them down with one of our brokers, understand their needs, what they are interested in and ultimately their budget.

Itís actually easier to qualify in this sector than the sub 24 metres.

More often than not we will show them the yacht and they will turn out to be flakes. The tyre kickers are usually too nervous / shy to go further than the first question so they self qualify !

A simple but polite refusal is all thats required and both parties are happy. We will often give a cap or something instead.

Owners want to sell their yacht and only want buyers on board. A bit like your house. You donít want it to be an open house especially if itís based on your house and as personal as your house.

I have never met a disgruntled / offended visitor yet who has been refused boarding. Thereís no need to be rude and we never are.
    Last edited by Time Out; 05-09-19 at 17:34.

I am always sceptical of true qualification ability in the boat market.

I went to princess with my 3 year old daughter on day. I was in jeans and wanted to look at a princess 64. It was clear sir could not
    afford it.

It was the final look before signing the contract across the road ( Solent place where the motor yacht show is held) for a new s65.

Princess would not even engage in a discussion.

In the bigger sector linked in May or may not be your friend.

My dad was in the high end car business. This was long ago but they were constantly surprised by who got their cheque book out.

Quote Originally Posted by jrudge View Post
    I am always sceptical of true qualification ability in the boat market.
    One thing I learnt many years ago in my business was to treat every potential customer with the same courtesy. Itís often the scruffy ones who have money and the quiet ones who have the decision making power

And that's exactly what we do. We have owners of yachts 80m plus that roll up in shorts and t shirts.

As I said if someone wants to talk to us we talk to them on the stand and understand their needs. It becomes very obvious very quickly as to whether they are serious and they declare that. If we are the slightest bit unsure we will still run with it.

I have mentioned already at this level itís easier to qualify interested parties.

When I say qualified I am not talking a face to face at reception I am talking established relationships.

Itís far harder sub 24 metre / Princess / Sunseeker territory.

This forum is a classic example of never judging a book by its cover

On the original topic: Iím going with my reserved mate. Leaving the families home this time we have Friday and Saturday to spend at the show.
    Last edited by scubaman; 06-09-19 at 04:19.

Quote Originally Posted by Time Out View Post
    Nine times out of ten they will be with their own broker (very common in the large yacht sector) if they are not and Cannes has more walk ups than other shows, then we will sit them down with one of our brokers, understand their needs, what they are interested in and ultimately their budget.

Itís actually easier to qualify in this sector than the sub 24 metres.

More often than not we will show them the yacht and they will turn out to be flakes. The tyre kickers are usually too nervous / shy to go further than the first question so they self qualify !

A simple but polite refusal is all thats required and both parties are happy. We will often give a cap or something instead.
    That's the most condescending thing I have ever read on this forum!

Owners want to sell their yacht and only want buyers on board. A bit like your house. You donít want it to be an open house especially if itís based on your house and as personal as your house.

I have never met a disgruntled / offended visitor yet who has been refused boarding. Thereís no need to be rude and we never are.

What an odd thing to say ? Itís often very well received and is more than most do after they decline a visit.

Tell me why ?

Well, it does sound condescending, doesn't it?
    Neither your intentions/kindness nor the gadget appreciation have a lot to see with that.

Quote Originally Posted by mikef View Post
    It’s often the scruffy ones who have money and the quiet ones who have the decision making power
    Now, why do I have the funny feeling that by the latter you actually mean wives?
    Ok, maybe not in your business, I suppose. But still...

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast