Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Default Re: Is anybody going to Cannes?

Quote Originally Posted by mikef View Post
    Again I'm interested. Leaving aside the Apple watch conundrum, which watches qualify somebody and which don't?
    It's never a given but anything bespoke, unusual, you know the type that's advertised in Geneva airport!

Most of the time (and I say most) even someone dressed down will be wearing a timepiece of note.

Joking aside how do YOU tell in your industry?

It's never a given but anything bespoke, unusual, you know the type that's advertised in Geneva airport!
    Well I'm flying into Geneva next Friday as it happens and I'll buy myself a Swatch so I get myself qualified

Joking aside how do YOU tell in your industry?
    Its different in my industry because we're selling to large companies and small companies, rather than individuals, so visitors to exhibitions can be either spending their company's money or their own money and its actually impossible to qualify people from their appearance or watches or whatever. In fact one of my longest established and best customers is the one of the most scruffiest, aggressive, rudest men you could ever have the misfortune to meet but he heads up one of the fastest growing companies in my industry. Believe me, you would never let him near your 40m boat based on first impressions but he does own a very large sailing yacht in the Med amongst other toys! As I said above I try to treat everybody with the same courtesy but I try to qualify them by questioning. You can usually tell after a few minutes conversation whether they're a genuine prospect now or a prospect for the future or a tyre kicker

Well I'm flying into Geneva next Friday as it happens and I'll buy myself a Swatch so I get myself qualified

Its different in my industry because we're selling to large companies and small companies, rather than individuals, so visitors to exhibitions can be either spending their company's money or their own money and its actually impossible to qualify people from their appearance or watches or whatever. In fact one of my longest established and best customers is the one of the most scruffiest, aggressive, rudest men you could ever have the misfortune to meet but he heads up one of the fastest growing companies in my industry. Believe me, you would never let him near your 40m boat based on first impressions but he does own a very large sailing yacht in the Med amongst other toys! As I said above I try to treat everybody with the same courtesy but I try to qualify them by questioning. You can usually tell after a few minutes conversation whether they're a genuine prospect now or a prospect for the future or a tyre kicker
    That's interesting Mike, thank you.

You know what I really wished I had mentioned the fact that we mostly qualify by questions! it would have been a lot easier!

The bottom line is for ALL industry is you can never tell 100% what a visitors motivation or background is which is why we try to be as open as we can. That said we have to be respectful of the client's yacht and their instructions on who can and can't board no matter how restrictive that maybe but as I said it's Brokerage and not new.

So finally back to the topic, I look forward to seeing you all there!

I am also going to SBS as a punter so know just how annoying it is to be denied access! I also did EBACE early this year and if you think getting on yachts is hard, you should try getting on a private jet!

Has anyone got a wife who hangs around at the back not saying anything?
    I do! Mind you it’s because I’ve been so well trained

Qualifying people at a boat show is hardly rocket science.

Where do you keep your boat at the moment?

From the response you know who you're dealing with and can proceed accordingly. Somewhere like Cannes is much easier. People aren't being brought in by the coach load. You get a few minutes to chat to everyone who turns up on the stand. Occasionally you need to manage the staff sitting on reception a little but come on, if you can't do that you're unlikely to be in a position to buy the product. Once you understand how things work Cannes is, or certainly was in 20017 a great show if you own a boat and genuinely have an interest in the product.

As an owner you will already have contacts who will be happy to provide assistance at all the major shows. I own a Princess and I know I have somewhere to go for a cup of tea at both Cannes and Southampton courtesy of them. In fact I have a couple of places, it's a small world and competing builders like Sunseeker are always keen to help out a needy owner who might be tempted into one of their craft.....

If you really worry then contact people in advance. Let them know you're coming and are interested in having a poke around.

If all else fails wear a nice watch. Something off the "not generally available to the great unwashed over the counter" list always looks good and stick with a known brand. A tourbillon would probably be a waste though, too subtle.

Henry :-)

btw back in the days when I used to run Genova boat show nearly every other year from 95 till 2004, I remember the Rodriguez (Arno Leopard, Mangusta Eu dealers at the time) guys where always very nice.
    Showing you around there boats even the 130 was a pleasure to them.
    I once told the Mangusta sales man that the client I had with me was more into a 13 meter flybridge boat but wanted to see the Mangusta's and the courtesy of Rodriguez on the Mangusta stand was superb.
    They explained him every detail, the guy spent couple hours with us, even though they had people flooding the stands left and right.

May be that you can understand how Mangusta outsold everyone in the big open segment even though there product costed twice as much as a similar Sunseeker at the time.

I would say the best in the stands for me where the following; Rodriguez (Mangusta and Arno), Baia, and Itama (still under Amati).

I think I would go in that order.

Sunseeker also seem as per reviews told a very well reviewed open set up in English boat shows, where even if you are buying a 40 feet boat they show you there 100 feet flagship.
    What a superb sales pitch is that.
    You can say one hundred lines but that never beats the excitement when someone is showed around the other big boat, which may be he will never afford, but still makes him feel part of the family and being part of the product. Many will think that if they can build this bigger boat, mine is easy for them to do, even though the reality is opposite.
    Last edited by PowerYachtBlog; 06-09-19 at 12:34.

Quote Originally Posted by PowerYachtBlog View Post
    Sunseeker also seem as per reviews told a very well reviewed open set up in English boat shows, where even if you are buying a 40 feet boat they show you there 100 feet flagship.
    Yes Sunseeker are excellent at boat shows. They realise the value of the Sunseeker name as a brand and they know that their brand image is enhanced by allowing everybody and anybody onto their boats at exhibitions without qualification. It is no coincidence that if you asked a member of the non-boating public to name one single brand of motor yacht, they would invariably say Sunseeker and that is a very powerful message

In stark contrast, Fairline operate this ridiculous gatekeeper system which means that you have to wait, sometimes for a very long time, for 'your' broker to be available before you're allowed on any of their boats

Which company sells more boats?

This has drifted and I don’t want to prolong it other than to say I find Time Out perfectly reasonable and not at all condescending. Qualifying is perfectly sensible in my book. Imho.

Yes Sunseeker are excellent at boat shows. They realise the value of the Sunseeker name as a brand and they know that their brand image is enhanced by allowing everybody and anybody onto their boats at exhibitions without qualification. It is no coincidence that if you asked a member of the non-boating public to name one single brand of motor yacht, they would invariably say Sunseeker and that is a very powerful message

In stark contrast, Fairline operate this ridiculous gatekeeper system which means that you have to wait, sometimes for a very long time, for 'your' broker to be available before you're allowed on any of their boats

Which company sells more boats?
    Mike I totally agree sunseeker do it better but they qualify for sure. Of course they allow anyone to board so it’s a much smarter approach (I’m agreeing your basic point). But if you are a millionaire++ you are entertained in a special lounge and if you want to see a boat you are walked past the long line of “unqualified” folks waiting to be allowed on. Princess similar - at the last Düsseldorf we waved at our princess contact, sidestepped the front desk, and several forum folks walked on the Y85 without queueing. I’m just saying, not disagreeing with what you wrote nor criticising sunseeker or princess.
    Last edited by jfm; 06-09-19 at 19:17.

Quote Originally Posted by jfm View Post
    This has drifted and I don’t want to prolong it other than to say I find Time Out perfectly reasonable and not at all condescending. Qualifying is perfectly sensible in my book. Imho.
    Telling someone they are not worthy to look at an exhibit in a show and giving them a cap and told to (hypothetically) run along is condescending impo. I do however understand qualifying when it comes to private sales. As mentioned previously, you can see why Sunseeker do so well.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast