Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Default Re: Is anybody going to Cannes?

Quote Originally Posted by MrB View Post
    Telling someone they are not worthy to look at an exhibit in a show and giving them a cap and told to (hypothetically) run along is condescending impo. I do however understand qualifying when it comes to private sales. As mentioned previously, you can see why Sunseeker do so well.
    Once again I'm sure it's a case of reading your audience. As a kid I used to run round the now defunct motor show collecting brochures, stickers and badges. Came away with bags of them and was thrilled. This is a private one off boat for sale not an open house viewing. I'm sure everything is done in good humour with the person pretty much saying to you they aren't worthy of access, "It looks great but I wouldn't want to pay for the petrol. If I ever win the lottery......"

At which point you offer little Pierre a cap and he's thrilled. Indeed even dad on a day out to the show might be thrilled with a perceived Ä20 value cap if it looks cool and sports a cool brand on it. Alternatively a nice metal key ring, a mini Maglight or whatever. I can totally see the scenario and everyone parting as friends.

Showing actual brand owners round top of the range stuff is common throughout the industry. It confirms that even your modest purchase contains elements found in the £5, 10, or £15 million pound plus floating real estate and yes, it sows the seed just in case those numbers do come up on the lottery.... 😎

Quote Originally Posted by MrB View Post
    Telling someone they are not worthy to look at an exhibit in a show and giving them a cap and told to (hypothetically) run along is condescending impo. I do however understand qualifying when it comes to private sales. As mentioned previously, you can see why Sunseeker do so well.
    Have you read anything I have written ?

These are private sales, we could just give a blanket no but instead we engage with the visitor to the stand explain why we canít offer them a viewing, this is usually AFTER they have volunteered information suggesting they simply want to have a look and have no interest in purchasing.

This is when the offer of gift happens

As I have mentioned more than once if they are insistent then we will sit them down with a broker and discuss their needs more to understand exactly what they want

If one of our boats (on display) matches their needs they can view if not we will look for something that does.

Itís really not that difficult or condescending, you are picking a fight thatís not there.

Youíre not getting a cap now

Quote Originally Posted by Time Out View Post

Youíre not getting a cap now
    Can I have MrBís cap?

Quote Originally Posted by Bouba View Post
    Can I have MrBís cap?
    You need to prove you have no interest in purchasing first

Joking aside it would be good to revisit this thread after or during the show and report back on the different visitor experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by jfm View Post
    This has drifted and I donít want to prolong it other than to say I find Time Out perfectly reasonable and not at all condescending.
    Qualifying is perfectly sensible in my book. Imho.
    J, just to try (yet again) to put this matter straight: nobody said that Time Out himself is condescending or unreasonable.
    I surely didn't and didn't want to, and neither MrB, in my understanding.
    Btw, I never had the pleasure to meet TO, and I'd never dare labelling anybody's personal attitude based just on a forum post.

What we are saying is that his statement above comes across as condescending.
    And I sincerely struggle to understand how anyone, himself included, can argue with this simple fact.

I suppose that this can only be due to not understanding the difference I just tried to explain (which is BIG!), because if the statement "We will often give a cap or something instead" can not be called condescending, well, obviously my understanding of what this adjective means in English has always been wrong.

Joking aside it would be good to revisit this thread after or during the show and report back on the different visitor experiences.
    You are saying that as if you would have been accused of not offering to some of your visitors a pleasant experience, which ain't the case - see the difference I just tried to explain in my previous post.

Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    J, just to try (yet again) to put this matter straight: nobody said that Time Out himself is condescending or unreasonable.
    I surely didn't and didn't want to, and neither MrB, in my understanding.
    Btw, I never had the pleasure to meet TO, and I'd never dare labelling anybody's personal attitude based just on a forum post.

What we are saying is that his statement above comes across as condescending.
    And I sincerely struggle to understand how anyone, himself included, can argue with this simple fact.

I suppose that this can only be due to not understanding the difference I just tried to explain (which is BIG!), because if the statement "We will often give a cap or something instead" can not be called condescending, well, obviously my understanding of what this adjective means in English has always been wrong.
    You have met me you just donít remember Antibes about 6 years ago very briefly. You were about to go on a dive trip with other forum members !

Doh! Sorry for having completely forgotten.
    Anyhow, goes to further prove my post #65, I guess.
    If you (as opposed to one single statement which you wrote - probably without thinking too much about it) would have been a truly condescending person, I surely would have clearer memories of that occasion!

Quote Originally Posted by henryf View Post
    Once again I'm sure it's a case of reading your audience. As a kid I used to run round the now defunct motor show collecting brochures, stickers and badges. Came away with bags of them and was thrilled. This is a private one off boat for sale not an open house viewing. I'm sure everything is done in good humour with the person pretty much saying to you they aren't worthy of access, "It looks great but I wouldn't want to pay for the petrol. If I ever win the lottery......"

At which point you offer little Pierre a cap and he's thrilled. Indeed even dad on a day out to the show might be thrilled with a perceived €20 value cap if it looks cool and sports a cool brand on it. Alternatively a nice metal key ring, a mini Maglight or whatever. I can totally see the scenario and everyone parting as friends.
    I was thrilled to get an Axopar panama hat on last years show. I did also get on the boats, though .

I also totally get Time Out's MO and would appreciate a cap as a token of appreciation of interest in their services.

Letting everyone in on the new boat shows makes a lot of sense, thousands of people now know first hand just how desirable Sunseekers are. Then add the ripple effect of them talking to friends/family.

As we all know, desirability is a big thing also for the actual buyers.

You need to prove you have no interest in purchasing first
    None whatsoever
    Iím not sure what day Iíll be there, just put the cap under the pillow in the ownerís cabin and Iíll be sure to find it

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast