Default Running diesel engine (Volvo D1-30F) without electronics?

I have a 2016 Volvo D1-30 as stated that I want to run without the MDI box.

I have rigged a starter button and I need to work out if the fuel solenoid cutout works by voltage on or voltage off. (If somebody knows the answer to this one I would be grateful.)

But my main question is if I turn the battery on to start the engine with the electronics out of circuit will the alternator still charge?

Many thanks for any help in advance.
    I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure...

Default Re: Running diesel engine (Volvo D1-30F) without electronics?

I cannot help very much , but you might find the "group 30" workshop manual, which covers the workings of the MDI box useful

http://www.plaisance-pratique.com/IMG/pdf/MID.pdf

It appears that the stop solenoid is , as usual, energised to stop the engine and that the starter solenoid is energized via the MDI box as are the glow plugs,

My overall thoughts are that you will have to connect the engine electrics to the panel following the the usual non- MDI circuit which you will find in the workshop manual here

https://j109.org/docs/volvo_d1-30_workshop_manual.pdf

Thanks Vic I will read up on those.
    I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure...

Looking at the wiring diagram on page 42 of http://www.plaisance-pratique.com/IMG/pdf/MID.pdf
    It looks like the Alternator will work without the MDI.
    The sense terminal S is connected to the battery via the starter motor.
    However, I don't think that the stop solenoid will work without the MDI.
    There may be a manual override on the stop solenoid, there is on my Yanmar.
    I'm also surprised that Volvo are still having problems with their engine management systems, this was the only thing that failed on the 2D40 on my previous boat, and it did that with 2 month from new in 2007.
    Cheers
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_Edwards View Post
    Looking at the wiring diagram on page 42 of http://www.plaisance-pratique.com/IMG/pdf/MID.pdf
    It looks like the Alternator will work without the MDI.
    The sense terminal S is connected to the battery via the starter motor.

However, I don't think that the stop solenoid will work without the MDI.
    There may be a manual override on the stop solenoid, there is on my Yanmar.
    I'm also surprised that Volvo are still having problems with their engine management systems, this was the only thing that failed on the 2D40 on my previous boat, and it did that with 2 month from new in 2007.
    I think the initial excitation relies on the connection to the D+/61 terminal ( On non MDI installations a connection via the LED no-charge warning light and a connection via a 330 ohm resistor which actually provides the excitation current)

Quote Originally Posted by VicS View Post
    I think the initial excitation relies on the connection to the D+/61 terminal ( On non MDI installations a connection via the LED no-charge warning light and a connection via a 330 ohm resistor which actually provides the excitation current)
    You may well be correct, but ...
    In the diagram on page 42 terminal 61 on the alternator is connected to pin 7 on the MDI, which is labeled "stop solenoid".
    I was under the impression that terminal 61 on an alternator is an auxiliary output.
    If I remember correctly, the alternator still worked on my 2D40 when the MDI was faulty. I motored for many hour until I got a warranty replacement from Volvo.
    Cheers
    Ian

No they haven't sorted it. My 2017 engine is now on its third MDI unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_Edwards View Post
    You may well be correct, but ...
    In the diagram on page 42 terminal 61 on the alternator is connected to pin 7 on the MDI, which is labeled "stop solenoid".
    I was under the impression that terminal 61 on an alternator is an auxiliary output.
    If I remember correctly, the alternator still worked on my 2D40 when the MDI was faulty. I motored for many hour until I got a warranty replacement from Volvo.
    Pin 7 , to the engine harness, on the MDI is the " excitation". See the pin out tables on the next page .

Item 7 on the wiring diagram is the stop solenoid ( see the legend below the diagram) . It is fed from pin 4 on the MDI.

Terminal D+/61 on the this alternator is the warning light/excitation connection