Thread: More on tides

Default More on tides

I'm looking at a suitable launch date for next spring, it really bugs me that tidal prediction in the UK seems to be a matter of national security. However.

This seems to be just the ticket, free at the point of use, worldwide predictions/data from 1700 to 2100. Going down the page you can get yourself monthly, weekly or yearly overviews. I guess it is based on simple harmonics like the old Psion 7 program but, if reliable, it will be good enough for me:

https://tides.mobilegeographics.com/locations/2089.html

Default Re: More on tides

Try some of the fishing sites. In the Bristol Channel with the marine research site at Avonmouth. Or just buy next years tide tables now. You will need then next year anyway
    A boat is for going places

If you just want the big picture, springs are a couple of days after the full moon.
    Spring tides a given port will be at roughly the same time of day.
    Lunchtime and slinging out time in Portsmouth, Breakfast and tea time in Plymouth.

There was someone on here that posted that site a while back with instructions to link it to your emails calendar so you can bring them up on your phone/tablet, I use it a lot.
    Tom, Sundance
    2wheels1keel.com

Just been doing the same for launch date for April 2020.

Google "Channel Swim ", and you will get all the Dover tidal data for next year

Navionics will give you tidal data for any date. You just have to change the date on your device to within 7 days before.
    I'd rather be tethered to a pad eye than tethered to an iPad.

Quote Originally Posted by lw395 View Post
    If you just want the big picture, springs are a couple of days after the full moon.
    Spring tides a given port will be at roughly the same time of day.
    Lunchtime and slinging out time in Portsmouth, Breakfast and tea time in Plymouth.
    Just had an email from newmoon saying dont forget me!

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Ballad View Post
    There was someone on here that posted that site a while back with instructions to link it to your emails calendar so you can bring them up on your phone/tablet, I use it a lot.
    This explains how to upload to Google Calendar but a similar process will no doubt work for other calendars. Choose your preferred area, months, year etc and at the bottom of the page click download. This will save an ICS file on your hard drive.

Open up Google Calendars and create a new calendar eg 'Tide Tables'. Go to Google Calendar 'Settings' (Gear icon) and choose 'import and export'. Select the downloaded ICS file and choose the calendar 'Tide Tables' (or whatever calendar name you created) and the times will be imported.

This can also be viewed offline on your phone without an internet connection.