Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Isle of Wight, best hardstanding for maintenance?

I am looking for a yard to put my boat on the hard standing for part of the winter, she is 12 tons. Water access and a 12 ton hoist is needed.
    Not living on board, I live in Newport. Anywhere on the IoW would be ideal, not considering the mainland at this stage.
    Ideally somewhere with a secure fence so the public can't wander through, basic toilet and tap, and a 240v supply for lights, drills etc.
    The ability to make hammering noises, and power tools, ie with no nimbys overlooking, prefer a more down to earth/ traditional ambience with old wooden boats etc. (Mine is wooden)
    But I don't know all the possibilities on the island and I am open minded, so I am asking for suggestions, thanks.

Default Re: Isle of Wight, best hardstanding for maintenance?

Look into http://odessaboatyard.co.uk in Newport.

They do a Winter storage package and all boats are lifted out/in on a fixed day, they hire in a very large crane for the day. Obviously this does mean you are out of the water for the whole winter. They do have their own crane but I am sure it would not lift 12 tons.

There is a fence with keypad access, power and water (although only 1 tap) , a toilet and there is plenty of parking.

It is definitely a traditional and more basic yard, they are fine with owners doing all manner of work. The owners are very knowledgeable and are often found in the yard working on boats.

I've used them for 3 years now, it is close to my house, is reasonably priced and I am not paying for fancy marina facilities that I don't need.

Speak to Jamie at River Yar Boatyard. Depends on draught but the right tide he can handle some commercial stuff as well. Out of the way. Power water etc

۞

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewL View Post
    Look into http://odessaboatyard.co.uk in Newport.

They do a Winter storage package and all boats are lifted out/in on a fixed day, they hire in a very large crane for the day. Obviously this does mean you are out of the water for the whole winter. They do have their own crane but I am sure it would not lift 12 tons.

There is a fence with keypad access, power and water (although only 1 tap) , a toilet and there is plenty of parking.

It is definitely a traditional and more basic yard, they are fine with owners doing all manner of work. The owners are very knowledgeable and are often found in the yard working on boats.

I've used them for 3 years now, it is close to my house, is reasonably priced and I am not paying for fancy marina facilities that I don't need.
    pm sent

Quote Originally Posted by Genoa View Post
    Speak to Jamie at River Yar Boatyard. Depends on draught but the right tide he can handle some commercial stuff as well. Out of the way. Power water etc
    I will call them thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DJE View Post
    Will take a look thanks

Bembridge - dont know if they cope with 12 tons but worth a look ?

Newport quay as per post no 2 has been doing this for years - quite a little ceremony I recall on launching and great for Westerly centaurs etc but I wonder if they supply cradles etc or you have to bring your own?

I shall check out Bembridge, tyanks.
    I seem to have a longer sailing season than many people, so I am an awkward customer as I don't want 5 months out of the water, so crane sharing is no good. Newport quay under the flyover is in a public place, no good for me, and Odessa Marine, which I know well, is a great yard but the crane timing is impossible unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohlin Karcher View Post
    I shall check out Bembridge, tyanks.
    I seem to have a longer sailing season than many people, so I am an awkward customer as I don't want 5 months out of the water, so crane sharing is no good. Newport quay under the flyover is in a public place, no good for me, and Odessa Marine, which I know well, is a great yard but the crane timing is impossible unfortunately.
    try Richardson's at island harbour, Newport, boat lift in a locked basin, good chandlers, skilled knowledgeable workforce if help is required and crane access if needed, they have a small one and a cherry pickeras well as the mobile lift

https://www.richardsonsyacht.co.uk/
    Sermons from my pulpit are with tongue firmly in cheek and without any warranty!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast