Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Sikaflex at Screwfix

I want some clear sealant of a good grade for odd deck-leaks. Whenever I've used Sika in the past I made a horrid mess, so I reckon I can minimise that by buying clear.

It's at Screwfix for under £7 (300g). https://www.screwfix.com/p/sika-sika...ar-300ml/7286d

Is that unfamiliar cheapness representative of it being substandard, compared with the white 291 and 292 I've bought previously, or does it just show the price Sika ought to be, rather than what I've always paid at Force 4?

Default Re: Sikaflex at Screwfix

I've been using Puraflex 40 from toolstation for 5 years instead of Sikaflex and its worked well, £5.28 a pop!

https://www.toolstation.com/puraflex...e-300ml/p85566

Thanks for that. Actually it's not really a cost issue, though I'm interested. I'm told that CT1 is the best bet, because even if the surfaces it is used on are not dry, it bonds and seals. I'm wary of using CT1 because I always make such a hideous mess with sealant, and because CT1 is said to be immovable once cured. I suppose it could be shifted mechanically but I don't want to make things worse.

Sika make a considerable range of sealants and adhesives for a myriad of different purposes, even some of that nasty silicone,I would not use any of them without having plenty of paper and masking tape handy. Clear stuff will go murky very quickly so it is no better.

Masking tape helps to reduce the mess. It might seem like a faff, taking longer to do the masking than the sealing, but better in the long run.

Thanks, I had some old Sellotape in mind, but I'll get proper masking tape.

Get some "Wonder Wipes" and you'll never have a mess problem with Sika again!
    Brexit: Taking back our freedom as a sovereign nation.

A few years ago I got 10 tubes of Sikaflex for about twenty quid because they were a month out of date. It was as good as in date stuff. I haven't had as good a deal since then but keep your eye open for deals like that.

Kind Regards

Skip

I hadn't heard of Wonder Wipes.

I found many packs of out-of-date "Sugru" mouldable rubber at a B&Q 18 months ago. They sold me the lot at £1 each, about a 75% reduction. It's still fine now.

I was eventually persuaded by glowing reports about CT1, which Screwfix doesn't stock...

...I went to Travis Perkins and the lad there said the "Hippo" brand is better, and cheaper than CT1. I've never been let down by their products or recommendations, so that's what I bought.

Interestingly, when I asked if the Hippo brand sealant was available clear rather than coloured, I was shown the sample tray - a variety of colours and the clear really is very clear.
    Last edited by dancrane; 05-09-19 at 15:31.

CT1 is very much an adhesive. I've used to fix wooden trim to the galley worksurfaces, and it is certainly permanent.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast