Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 35
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Home: Kent. Boat: Chichester
    Posts
    43,614

    Default Re: Sikaflex at Screwfix

    Quote Originally Posted by dancrane View Post
    I hadn't heard of Wonder Wipes.

    I found many packs of out-of-date "Sugru" mouldable rubber at a B&Q 18 months ago. They sold me the lot at £1 each, about a 75% reduction. It's still fine now.

    I was eventually persuaded by glowing reports about CT1, which Screwfix doesn't stock...

    ...I went to Travis Perkins and the lad there said the "Hippo" brand is better, and cheaper than CT1. I've never been let down by their products or recommendations, so that's what I bought.

    Interestingly, when I asked if the Hippo brand sealant was available clear rather than coloured, I was shown the sample tray - a variety of colours and the clear really is very clear.
    Stixall is an Everbuild/ Sika hybrid polymer product similar to CT1. It is available in clear, white or black from Toolstation https://www.toolstation.com/stixall-...t-290ml/p77137

  2. #12
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Eastern Atlantic seaboard
    Posts
    3,202

    Default Re: Sikaflex at Screwfix

    Quote Originally Posted by seumask View Post
    I've been using Puraflex 40 from toolstation for 5 years instead of Sikaflex and its worked well, £5.28 a pop!

    https://www.toolstation.com/puraflex...e-300ml/p85566
    Me too. Read somewhere (here?) that it is re-badged 291 from the same production line. Anyway,it's done the biz on numerous occasions.
    I'd rather be tethered to a pad eye than tethered to an iPad.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Southminster, essex
    Posts
    9,436

    Default Re: Sikaflex at Screwfix

    Dan, What are you trying to do with it? are you trying to do an internal angle fillet. If you are there is a way of doing it which makes less mess & does not need tape etc
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    8,658

    Default Re: Sikaflex at Screwfix

    Thanks, but I've been unclear about the purpose - it's not for the Osprey, it's a boat I've been helping with, and there are small untraceable leaks between the gunwale and the rubbing strake. We're hoping that if rain doesn't keep filling the narrow space between them, the leaks may be eliminated.

    Interesting that the description of the variety of Sika with which I started this thread, specifically warns that the surfaces must be dry for the filler to stick - whereas the Hippo variety, or CT1 and others, are able to 'dry' or cure, even under salt water.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    South Oxon Boatat Wicormarine
    Posts
    162

    Default Re: Sikaflex at Screwfix

    Captain Tolleys creeping crack cure will probably sort that out. It finds tiny cracks by capillary attraction and seals them. dead easy to use and absolutely no mess, it is invisible.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Home: Kent. Boat: Chichester
    Posts
    43,614

    Default Re: Sikaflex at Screwfix

    Quote Originally Posted by dancrane View Post
    Interesting that the description of the variety of Sika with which I started this thread, specifically warns that the surfaces must be dry for the filler to stick - whereas the Hippo variety, or CT1 and others, are able to 'dry' or cure, even under salt water.
    It depends on the sealant type. The polyurethanes such as Sikaflex 291 etc, Puraflex 40, Sikaflex EBT must be applied to a dry surface. The hybrid polymer sealants such as CT1 , Stixall and your Hippo sealant can be applied to a wet surface

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    1,426

    Default Re: Sikaflex at Screwfix

    Re coloured Sikaflex etc....

    I have used both black and white ones. The great thing about the black stuff is you can always see where it's gone where you didn't want it to.

    The white stuff on the other hand lurks and doesn't betray itself until it's got everywhere.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    8,658

    Default Re: Sikaflex at Screwfix

    That "Creeping Crack Cure" looks like impressive stuff, but hopefully I won't need it.

    Thanks, all.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,555

    Default Re: Sikaflex at Screwfix

    Quote Originally Posted by dancrane View Post
    Thanks, but I've been unclear about the purpose - it's not for the Osprey, it's a boat I've been helping with, and there are small untraceable leaks between the gunwale and the rubbing strake. We're hoping that if rain doesn't keep filling the narrow space between them, the leaks may be eliminated.

    Interesting that the description of the variety of Sika with which I started this thread, specifically warns that the surfaces must be dry for the filler to stick - whereas the Hippo variety, or CT1 and others, are able to 'dry' or cure, even under salt water.
    I don't know what method you are considering. If it's simply running a bead along the gap... I think you will (a) be messy (b) not seal it 100% (c) end up with moisture trapped behind the seal once it finds a leaky bit and take even longer to dry

    To do this... You either need Captain Tolley's, or you need to unfix the rubbing strake, mount it on a fresh bed of sikka (etc).

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Suffolk
    Posts
    3,703

    Default Re: Sikaflex at Screwfix

    Quote Originally Posted by dancrane View Post
    That "Creeping Crack Cure" looks like impressive stuff, but hopefully I won't need it.

    Thanks, all.
    The Tolleys Creeping Crack Cure certainly works - I had a window leak earlier this year, discovered when I left some papers on the chart table - the sealant around the Perspex in the window frame really needs redoing but I tried the Tolleys as a temporary cure and it certainly worked. Wether it's permanent we'll see over winter, I should really do it but from memory it's a messy job and other jobs are more urgent.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to