Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Yachts for Sale Descriptions

Why is it that so many for sale ads lack the key elements such as engine hours, age and condition of sails, age of standing rigging and the type and vintage of the autopilot? On websites like Moody owners, it gets even more coy when some sellers can't even bring themselves to disclose the asking price. I recently enquired after a boat and after making my way through the seven veils of such meaningless terms as " serviceable", it turned out that the rigging, sails and instruments and autopilot all needed replacing.
    Last edited by francophile51; 05-09-19 at 18:13.

Default Re: Yachts for Sale Descriptions

Well we ( https://www.yachtsnet.co.uk/ ) try to give as accurate and detailed an inventory as possible, but often it's just not possible.

Even when the boat has had (for example) a new autopilot or sails in the present ownership, many owners regard anything they have paid for in the 15 years they have owned the boat as "new". Many owners just don't keep full records. If someone has owned the boat a shorter time and receipts for expenditure have not been kept and passed on then with the best will in the world no-one can tell how old some stuff is. We do try to do some "forensics" - we recently met a Yanmar engine that was supposedly installed new in 2010 according to the previous brokers advert. Well it might have been, but there was no paperwork and that model engine went out of production several years earlier. Not that there was anything wrong with it, it ran beautifully. As for engine hours, how many Yanmar or Volvo LCD hour counters are still working after five to ten years?

Sail on the Medway, Kent from Chatham Maritime Marina

You are asking what you should be paying a surveyor to check. You are not buying a new boat, so everything will be used unless it has just been fitted. Condition of any item is always subjective. What may be serviceable to many, could be a replacement in your eyes. No second hand boat will be perfect, it is finding the one with the least faults that you are prepared to accept.

Asking prices are just that, what you want to know is how little are similar boats selling for. That knowledge will help you decide what you are prepared to pay for a boat.

If you are unhappy just looking at adverts, just wait until you see some of the boats in real life. You will quickly dismiss many within minutes as you may not like the interior layout, the upholstery colours, the interior woodwork condition, how dirty the boat is inside and out, etc. Try and find a boat that has been regularly used as the equipment will more likely have been looked after and serviced. Always buy the best condition boat you can find, it will cost more to buy, but cost less in repairs and replacements.

It may seem strange, but 85% of boats in marinas rarely leave their berth during the season. They are used as floating cottages and sailed for a fortnights holiday.

Just remember the best 2 days of yacht ownership are the day you buy it and the day you sell it.
    If my foresight was as good as my hindsight, I would be a multi-millionaire.

I went to look at one where the broker had the draft and keel type wrong. And the boat was ashore!
    ۞

Quote Originally Posted by Concerto View Post
    You are asking what you should be paying a surveyor to check. You are not buying a new boat, so everything will be used unless it has just been fitted. Condition of any item is always subjective.
    I don’t think so, by the time you have a survey you have agreed on a sale price. For me I’d want to know the age of rigging, sails and engine hours before I’d make an offer. A surveyor is paid to find out the faults that aren’t obvious. Not many sellers are going to give you money off after an agreed price for items like sails or rigging.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyro View Post
    I don’t think so, by the time you have a survey you have agreed on a sale price. For me I’d want to know the age of rigging, sails and engine hours before I’d make an offer. A surveyor is paid to find out the faults that aren’t obvious. Not many sellers are going to give you money off after an agreed price for items like sails or rigging.
    Really? My plan is to get the surveyor first before agreeing any sort of price. (Because I haven't the first clue in whether a boat is suitable to buy or not). You're saying that plan isn't possible?

Just adding to the OPs opening comment about the Moody owners association and the shocking state of some of the for sale adverts, I mean stick a bloody price up! That way you would know if it is worth getting in touch or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Luminescent View Post
    Really? My plan is to get the surveyor first before agreeing any sort of price. (Because I haven't the first clue in whether a boat is suitable to buy or not). You're saying that plan isn't possible?
    It's possible but most broker will want you to sign a contract and pay a deposit, why should any of us have our boat pulled apart and maybe damage without having a contact ,
    Has for price, you don't have to agree anything ,
    The contract could read price negotiate after the Survey but what after you spend all that money the seller refused to move on his price .
    Suggest you find someone who know a bit about boats and take him with you to view ,
    Suggest you make a offer subject there no marjor fault , most contracts are written in that way any way .
    Suggestion any minon fauit that are not listed are subject to negotiation.
    And most important suggest you do some research on the type of boat that would suit you before wasting your money and other people time
    Last edited by sailaboutvic; 07-09-19 at 17:13.
    Warning forumite dyslexia near by
    www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

Quote Originally Posted by jwilson View Post
    As for engine hours, how many Yanmar or Volvo LCD hour counters are still working after five to ten years?
    Or, in the case of Volvo 2000 series, even have an engine hour meter? Mine doesn't - though it might soon, as I think the original rev counter has given up the ghost.

If an engine doesn't have an hour meter or it doesn't work isn't the point. If these are the facts let the ad reflect them
    The questions of engine hours, rigging age and age and model of an autopilot aren't subjective they are questions of fact. As for sails, "serviceable" seems to be a euphemism for knackered. I also don't buy the idea that owners don't keep invoices for substantial investments in such a significant asset When I am trying to gather information from ads, it's the first stage in the sifting process, sorting out the wheat from the chaff.Down the years, I have bought 7 classic cars and one aircraft and I've got to say that this part of the process was a lot more open and transparent.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast