Quote Originally Posted by Luminescent View Post
The cost of the survey I'm perfectly okay with, it tells me whether I want to walk away from the deal or not. If seller is not prepared to budge (or I think the boat isn't worth the repair costs), I'll let the seller know and walk away. A survey is non-destructive and no damage should ever be incurred (will promptly go after the surveyor if any damage is done). I think any buyer is entitled to have a full view of what they are purchasing before any money changes hands. If that means pulling the boat out of the water (of course paid for by the potential buyer) without deposit/contract, so be it. That's how it worked when I've done other large purchases, but it seems boats are their own special case.

If the survey is a £2,000 and the boat is £12,000 and the surveyor says, "Run." Then he's saved me £10,000 and probably no end of repair costs. You have to be prepared to walk away from a deal at the end of the day.

Edit: Oops, I wasn't actually intending to bring Brexit into this thread.
A survey worth the paper it's written on MAY cause minor damage - for example, I have coppercoat on my boat, and if the surveyor wished to determine the water content of the hull, he would probably have to remove it from several small areas of the hull to get moisture readings. Patching coppercoat is non-trivial. There are many similar examples where a surveyor might have to cause minor damage in order to determine the condition of a boat - nothing that isn't regarded as normal maintenance, but more than I would tolerate without an agreement that the boat is sold "subject to survey". There are other issues around the cost of lifting in and out of the water - who pays for any required lifts?