Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Default Re: Yachts for Sale Descriptions

Our last boat is for sale again and broker using our interior photos from years ago which look lovely(of course) but as you say no indication as to what's happened since. I suspect it's down to lazy brokers who cannot be bothered to get down to boat though but it does no good for their reputation if this is their approach surely?

Sail on the Medway, Kent from Chatham Maritime Marina

Quote Originally Posted by francophile51 View Post
    Down the years, I have bought 7 classic cars and one aircraft and I've got to say that this part of the process was a lot more open and transparent.
    Cars and aircraft need to be registered and have certificates of compliance. This is not so in the boating world. So as I said in my earlier post, you need to view boats to judge for yourself and use a surveyor to confirm things you want to know. However be warned, most surveys have many disclaimers such as the engine should be checked by an engineer, the sails could not be checked so let a sailmaker look at them, the electrical systems works, but employ a marine electrician to check everything is fully safe, etc, etc.

There is also one other big difference between boats and cars/planes - they do not have any brakes!
    If my foresight was as good as my hindsight, I would be a multi-millionaire.

We brought and so,d boats through a broker and privately over 40 years .
    Take what you read in ads and brokers listing with a pinch of salt ,
    The last boat we sold , was sold mainly just on a video we made ,
    It was so long we had to spit it in three , every sq Yd long the hull , keel and in side including engine was filmed . Much better then photos , when the time comes to sell again I be going the same .
    Warning forumite dyslexia near by
    www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

We will add rigging and engine data as a matter of course to the specs provided by owners and always prefer to use our own up to the minute photos - and if possible a walkthrough video.

Good photography and video is very time consuming and labour intensive, especially when listing mulitiple boats at a time but pays dividends all round.

Here's an example:
    http://www.jryachts.com/yachts-for-s...ter-56/1776479
    Last edited by jonic; 07-09-19 at 19:54.
    John Rodriguez Yachts - Cruising & Bluewater Yachts www.jryachts.com

Two points:
    1) my pet hate is brokers/vendors including in the description fittings that don't work. If they don't work they simply shouldn't be referred to in the description.
    2) secondly, and more importantly, as buyers we simply don't know how much boats really sell for. We know how much they are advertised for and, if patient can track reductions in SP's but we don't know the sales price. This where brokers have us over a barrel as I believe they contribute to a 'closed' database of prices actually achieved and can therefore know far more than we do, which is in contrast to house prices actually achieved obtainable through the land registry or the value of 2nd hand cars with thousands changing hands each month. I've often wondered if the Competition and Markets Authority would be interested?
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by jonic View Post
    We will add rigging and engine data as matter of course to the specs provided by owners and always prefer to use our own up to the minute photos - and if possible a walkthrough video.

Good photography and video is very time consuming and labour intensive, especially when listing mulitiple boats at a time but pays dividends all round.

Here's an example:
    http://www.jryachts.com/yachts-for-s...ter-56/1776479
    Nice try Jonic but I don't fancy it
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

Quote Originally Posted by Rafiki View Post
    Two points:
    1) my pet hate is brokers/vendors including in the description fittings that don't work. If they don't work they simply shouldn't be referred to in the description.
    2) secondly, and more importantly, as buyers we simply don't know how much boats really sell for. We know how much they are advertised for and, if patient can track reductions in SP's but we don't know the sales price. This where brokers have us over a barrel as I believe they contribute to a 'closed' database of prices actually achieved and can therefore know far more than we do, which is in contrast to house prices actually achieved obtainable through the land registry or the value of 2nd hand cars with thousands changing hands each month. I've often wondered if the Competition and Markets Authority would be interested?
    You have a point but I not sure how you can compare two boat of the same makes and year , here a good example our boat Has within the last two year had new sails , new 5 Kw gen , new windlass chain and anchor , new water maker, new summer cockpit enclosed and new winter fully encloser , new rigging ,, new sea cock , new batteries banks , new charging system , new panels and just about to be copper coated in a few months
    If I was to be selling mine now I be looking at much more then one the same year and model then one that need work done on it ,
    Has a buyer I be happy to pay the extra knowing what it cost to bring an old boat up to that standard.
    Some are only interested in price and buy on price then they moan even complain about the seller when they have to start spend big money on a boat they just brought.

So knowing what one boat sold for doesn't help .really .
    Another example , before I sold my last boat priavtely it was offered to a broker in Greece to be listed , he did have a computer print out what the same year and boats sold for ,we couldn't agree on a price , I felt he was only interested in moving boats on to get his commission and using his list of sold boats to get boats listed lower .
    I ended up selling mine privately for 18k more and that's after I took a offer .
    Last edited by sailaboutvic; 07-09-19 at 12:33.
    Warning forumite dyslexia near by
    www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rafiki View Post
    We know how much they are advertised for and, if patient can track reductions in SP's but we don't know the sales price. This where brokers have us over a barrel as I believe they contribute to a 'closed' database of prices actually achieved and can therefore know far more than we do, which is in contrast to house prices actually achieved obtainable through the land registry or the value of 2nd hand cars with thousands changing hands each month.
    Yes, brokers do have an undisclosed database of prices for which boats were actually sold. I am not a broker, but I have been told so by brokers. Update of this database is made by brokers who are supposed to tell the truth about their sales. I don't know how reliable that information is.

Quote Originally Posted by sailaboutvic View Post
    You have a point but I not sure how you can compare two boat of the same makes and year ,
    So knowing what one boat sold for doesn't help .really .
    I agree that comparing two boats on a price level is difficult when you don't know the details about maintenance, installed equipment, etc. But the same is valid for publicly available housing prices which does makes sense for understanding the housing market. In a similar manner you can assess price ranges of boats of a particular brand, size and age. So, yes IMHO it does help to have some understanding of realistic sales prices.

For new buyers that's a bit of a nightmare, it's impossibly to compare two boats without having a full survey done on each of them so we have to compare pretty much on price, specs and age alone. A short list is drawn up out of those and then the surveyor invoked. New buyers often don't know what they are looking for when trying to spot damage and so on.

It also seems that some boat owners are being very optimistic about what their boats can fetch in comparison to what is potentially available. I'm quite sure the brokers are charging them a fee to list/manage and rubbing their hands with glee as they'll be on the books for a very long time.

I completely agree with the OP that some of the terms used are neither objective nor sensible. There seems to be no common definitions as some have also pointed out but again, that's what the surveyors for. What gets me at the moment is, "Tax not paid." That infuriates (exaggeration for effect) me!

Quote Originally Posted by Luminescent View Post
    What gets me at the moment is, "Tax not paid." That infuriates (exaggeration for effect) me!
    Why? It is a factual statement.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast