Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Default Re: Yachts for Sale Descriptions

Because it means that the price displayed is not accurate, in that case it often means that when going through all the boats in my criteria that I get a lot of boats that appear within my budget but in reality are outside of my budget. (All boats that don't include tax, when it is applicable to them get dropped from my shortlist. It's easier on my calculations and there are plenty of boats that have included the tax to choose from).
    Last edited by Luminescent; 07-09-19 at 16:10.

Quote Originally Posted by Luminescent View Post
    Because it means that the price displayed is not accurate, in that case it often means that when going through all the boats in my criteria that I get a lot of boats that appear within my budget but in reality are outside of my budget. (All boats that don't include tax, when it is applicable to them get dropped from my shortlist. It's easier on my calculations and there are plenty of boats that have included the tax to choose from).
    There is another story to that. Boats that are priced without VAT can be purchased without VAT if buyer is either a VAT registered business in UK/EU or an individual from outside UK/EU (omitting the Brexit UK/EU VAT debate). Boats that are priced including VAT for sale by an individual cannot be sold without VAT - nor offer VAT deduction. Hence, for certain buyers it does make a big difference.

I completely get that, but as an individual it's maddening XD! (Mostly because they don't offer the alternative calculation). I'm sure however, I'll discover more maddening things as time goes on. Time for some yoga...

Quote Originally Posted by Concerto View Post
    You are asking what you should be paying a surveyor to check. You are not buying a new boat, so everything will be used unless it has just been fitted. Condition of any item is always subjective.
    I don’t think so, by the time you have a survey you have agreed on a sale price. For me I’d want to know the age of rigging, sails and engine hours before I’d make an offer. A surveyor is paid to find out the faults that aren’t obvious. Not many sellers are going to give you money off after an agreed price for items like sails or rigging.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyro View Post
    I don’t think so, by the time you have a survey you have agreed on a sale price. For me I’d want to know the age of rigging, sails and engine hours before I’d make an offer. A surveyor is paid to find out the faults that aren’t obvious. Not many sellers are going to give you money off after an agreed price for items like sails or rigging.
    Really? My plan is to get the surveyor first before agreeing any sort of price. (Because I haven't the first clue in whether a boat is suitable to buy or not). You're saying that plan isn't possible?

Just adding to the OPs opening comment about the Moody owners association and the shocking state of some of the for sale adverts, I mean stick a bloody price up! That way you would know if it is worth getting in touch or not.

Really? My plan is to get the surveyor first before agreeing any sort of price. (Because I haven't the first clue in whether a boat is suitable to buy or not). You're saying that plan isn't possible?
    It's possible but most broker will want you to sign a contract and pay a deposit, why should any of us have our boat pulled apart and maybe damage without having a contact ,
    Has for price, you don't have to agree anything ,
    The contract could read price negotiate after the Survey but what after you spend all that money the seller refused to move on his price .
    Suggest you find someone who know a bit about boats and take him with you to view ,
    Suggest you make a offer subject there no marjor fault , most contracts are written in that way any way .
    Suggestion any minon fauit that are not listed are subject to negotiation.
    And most important suggest you do some research on the type of boat that would suit you before wasting your money and other people time
    Last edited by sailaboutvic; 07-09-19 at 17:13.
    Warning forumite dyslexia near by
    www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

Quote Originally Posted by davethedog View Post
    Just adding to the OPs opening comment about the Moody owners association and the shocking state of some of the for sale adverts, I mean stick a bloody price up! That way you would know if it is worth getting in touch or not.
    I don't see why people don't put the price on their ad , find that very strange alto it cost nothing to send a email and ask how much there looking for .

Quote Originally Posted by sailaboutvic View Post
    It's possible but most broker will want you to sign a contract and pay a deposit, I for sure would any way , why should any of us have our boat pulled apart and maybe damage without having a contact , as for price agree what you like and negotiate after the Survey but what after you spen all that money the seller refused to move on his price .
    The cost of the survey I'm perfectly okay with, it tells me whether I want to walk away from the deal or not. If seller is not prepared to budge (or I think the boat isn't worth the repair costs), I'll let the seller know and walk away. A survey is non-destructive and no damage should ever be incurred (will promptly go after the surveyor if any damage is done). I think any buyer is entitled to have a full view of what they are purchasing before any money changes hands. If that means pulling the boat out of the water (of course paid for by the potential buyer) without deposit/contract, so be it. That's how it worked when I've done other large purchases, but it seems boats are their own special case.

If the survey is a £2,000 and the boat is £12,000 and the surveyor says, "Run." Then he's saved me £10,000 and probably no end of repair costs. You have to be prepared to walk away from a deal at the end of the day.

Edit: Oops, I wasn't actually intending to bring Brexit into this thread.
    Last edited by Luminescent; 07-09-19 at 17:18.

The cost of the survey I'm perfectly okay with, it tells me whether I want to walk away from the deal or not. If seller is not prepared to budge (or I think the boat isn't worth the repair costs), I'll let the seller know and walk away. A survey is non-destructive and no damage should ever be incurred (will promptly go after the surveyor if any damage is done). I think any buyer is entitled to have a full view of what they are purchasing before any money changes hands. If that means pulling the boat out of the water (of course paid for by the potential buyer) without deposit/contract, so be it. That's how it worked when I've done other large purchases, but it seems boats are their own special case.

If the survey is a £2,000 and the boat is £12,000 and the surveyor says, "Run." Then he's saved me £10,000 and probably no end of repair costs. You have to be prepared to walk away from a deal at the end of the day.

Edit: Oops, I wasn't actually intending to bring Brexit into this thread.
    Understand what your saying we sold and brought boats over 40 years , some privately as I not a big fan of brokers .
    Just to give you some picture how it work ,
    You view a boat , as many times you like no cost , once you decide your interested , you make a offer .
    That's followed a contract and a deposit , a lot of broker will have the contract quite tight , as in unless there major faults i.e. Engine , gearbox case of the pox which isn't reported before hand it's isn't easy to back out with lost of deposit or some of it at less .
    That's followed by a survey which you pay all the cost including haul out and in hard standing and May be pressure wash .
    Once that's sorted if no major fault found you can sort out a sea trial , now here the bit many don't understand , a sea trail has nothing to do with how the boat sails or point , it's all about testing equipment that can't be tested on land i.e. Engine , box so on .
    Once that done full payment made and away you go to spend more money on your pride and joy every month , and I not joking .

Minor fauit found are normally agreed with some cost ajustment some time as we done is do the repair before hand over , most seller want to sell so they will normally sort some thing out .
    But don't expect to get cash ajustment because the survey found a few dents or a mark inside here or there .
    That's all part of buying an second hand boat .
    Last edited by sailaboutvic; 07-09-19 at 17:56.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast