Default Is any one here own a boat with at least 4.3 metres or higher air draft?

Dear all,

I am looking for someone who own a boat with at least 4.3 metres or higher air draft on the Thames. Because I just bought one and worry about can not going through the Hammersmith bridge and Winsor bridge. So, I really want to get an opinion from someone is in the similar situation like me. Thanks.

Default Re: Is any one here own a boat with at least 4.3 metres or higher air draft?

We're 3.7m with the arch down, with everything up it's over 5 metres.

Hammersmith is fine with the arch up if the tide is right, Windsor is a little tight at 3.7m. You won't get under it at 4.3m air draft.

There's a link here to bridge heights:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/river-th...bridge-heights

Default Re: Is any one here own a boat with at least 4.3 metres or higher air draft?

Just a couple of other points you need to consider:

1. the published bridge clearance air draft heights are based on river level being at 'headwater' (HW)

2. the river level is managed at an average 3 to 8 inches higher than HW depending on the reach, season, time of day, recent rainfall (e,g. today Romney reach is running at +4" or +0.109m above HW so Windsor Bridge air draft is 13' 2"- 4" = 12' 8" or 3.9m). Levels can fluctuate by as much as 12" in a day after heavy rain.

3. You can check levels on the gaugemap website https://www.gaugemap.co.uk or ask the duty lock keeper for the level.

Despite all this good advice from seasoned boaters who know the bridges well, it remains your responsibility as master of your boat to determine if you have sufficient clearance to get under any bridge.

From what I've read so far, you would be well advised to get some proper training in boat handling from the likes of Tom Sowerby at Bisham Abbey Navigation School.
    When I was in the Navy ...

Very nice! Thanks mates. These inputs are great!