Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Offshore Tracking/Messenger Gizmo, any recommendations?

Any experience / recommendation for an offshore (well out of cell phone range) tracker/messenger? Objective is to send regular position updates to family ashore.

I've looked at the Spot Gen 3. These seem to cost around £100 with a £180 annual subscription. Pros and Cons?

Any alternatives?

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Offshore Tracking/Messenger Gizmo, any recommendations?

Guessing you have discounted the possibility of AIS transmitter/receiver because of the limited range although the land based tracking station apps such as marine traffic etc. are able to get increased range than a mobile phone would be able to. Constant anytime tracking in that instance for land based followers
    www.seasurveys.co.uk
    Surveying & Shipwright info on GRP, WOOD & so much more

Hi John,

It's for an Atlantic crossing.

HF & modem. Dont even bother to worry about needing a UK style licence. Thats all garbbage once you leave Uk waters.
    I must have been reincarnated because I'm living the life of Riley.

Ah...yes bit more than mobile range......
    www.seasurveys.co.uk
    Surveying & Shipwright info on GRP, WOOD & so much more

Have used an InReach pro and found it useful. At the time it was either hire a sat phone or buy the Inreach for a trip. The ability to send and receive a short text was very useful, and receiving a very basic forecast was possible. This can be done from a bluetooth smart phone or tablet which is much easier with a bigger screen and keyboard. Very handy to know family can see all is well.

Depends a bit on where you are sailing and what you are using it for. It is compact and user friendly and has useful features, but doesn't replace a sat phone or HF if you are after much more out of communicating.

Don't know how the Spot and the Inreach compare currently with sending texts - certainly worth looking at the detail.

Could also go Irridium Go for a full package depending on budget/what you want out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandyman View Post
    HF & modem. Dont even bother to worry about needing a UK style licence. Thats all garbbage once you leave Uk waters.
    Iím interested in HF as Iíve held an amateur radio licence since 1982, however, itís not my boat and taking a transceiver, ATU, modem and antenna in my luggage is likely to use my 20kg baggage allowance leaving me with just one pair of Speedos for the crossing

I donít think that my fellow crew mates would approve

Garmin In Reach or possibly the Yellow Brick trackers, as used for ARC.

We use SPOT. The best feature ( of spot/yellow brick and similar) is that if like us you use it all the time ( sending info to friends and family) then you are confident that it will work.
    Its up to you wether you go for the basic 'fixed message' system or you want to send text.

We used an iridium go for the trip from the uk to the canaries, and the montly subscriptions are not cheap, but you can make calls, send and receeive emails and texts, download weather with predict wind and it also acts as a worldwide tracker with its own Web page etc.

As said it is not a cheap option but it does a heck of a lot. Now we are here I am going to cancel the monthly satellite subscription as no longer needed. But when we travel further afield from the canaries, will reactivate it as was very impressed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast