Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Offshore Tracking/Messenger Gizmo, any recommendations?

Many thanks to all for the contributions, some very helpful and informative information.

For a one-off event, the YB is looking favourite as it's available for rental.

Quote Originally Posted by davidjackson View Post
    Any experience / recommendation for an offshore (well out of cell phone range) tracker/messenger? Objective is to send regular position updates to family ashore.

I've looked at the Spot Gen 3. These seem to cost around £100 with a £180 annual subscription. Pros and Cons?

Any alternatives?

Thanks in advance.
    My Inreach worked superbly all the way darn sarf 6 years ago. Cost me £100 off ebay, brand new, and $60 for two months subscription.

Why doesn't your (transat prepped) boat have this sorted already?

All should work reasonably well for an Atlantic crossing. (I'm partial to the inReach myself.)

Know that in the Pacific or Indian Oceans you will want the YB or an inReach, as much of those waters are outside Spot's coverage.

+1 for InReach.
    Does exactly what you want everywhere and has very flexible subscription options. I use it as bluetooth GPS paired with my iPad for a completely independent navigation solution. Weather service isn't the best but a txt message from a mate will work perfectly.
    Last edited by Buck Turgidson; 15-09-19 at 14:57.

Quote Originally Posted by davidjackson View Post
    Iím interested in HF as Iíve held an amateur radio licence since 1982, however, itís not my boat and taking a transceiver, ATU, modem and antenna in my luggage is likely to use my 20kg baggage allowance leaving me with just one pair of Speedos for the crossing
    I use the HF rig on the boat regularly, providing you have a bit of wire up the mast, you know the signal will get out ...

Sat comms? Yes, very convenient, very neat ... I would recommend them, but as the only comms? No, I don't think so. "Oh, we're sorry, we accidentally turned off your account" ... can't happen with HF.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123