Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Portsmouth dock crash

We had a variable pitch propellor jam in ahead pitch ( I have a feeling they theoretically revert to fine ahead, if they lose oil pressure?)

It could easily have caused a bump (2500 tons) if it happened at the wrong moment (i.e. approaching a dock, the pilot calling for, but unable to select, astern pitch). More common than being drunk IMO.
    Last edited by Ohlin Karcher; 07-09-19 at 18:18.

Certainly I've made a similar arrival on a smaller scale, when the gear lever of a somewhat scruffy charter boat came off in my hand as I tried to apply a burst of astern.

Fortunately a Sadler 32 bumping a marina pontoon does rather less damage than a 100-ton trawler colliding with a quayside

Pete

I think the engine failing or otherwise losing astern drive must be a common cause of parking bumps. It has happened twice to me in 30 years, the first a broken morse cable disabled reverse gear and the more i tried to stop the faster the boat went and I realised what was happening as I drove up a beach. The second time on a different boat the engine stopped as I selected astern to slow into my pontoon berth and I bumped my neighbours boat. Hey ho the joy of boating.
    The guy I bought my first boat from drove his new boat at 4 knots into the lock gates at Liverpool having lost the astern drive gear cable he also went faster as he tried to slow.

Tom, Sundance
    2wheels1keel.com

Quote Originally Posted by PilotWolf View Post
    Never approach anything faster than you want to hit it...

PW
    A good maxim
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

Quote Originally Posted by LadyInBed View Post
    A good maxim
    Actually a stupid platitude, most people would rather hit things at 0 kn, but virtue of that they'd never get there let alone have steerage way.

Quote Originally Posted by Elecglitch View Post
    Actually a stupid platitude, most people would rather hit things at 0 kn, but virtue of that they'd never get there let alone have steerage way.
    Really?!

No one wants to hit anything (usually) but at 0kts you're not going anywhere to hit anything anyway.

There's a difference between maintaining minimum speed for steerage and being a bumper car driver going flat out without a care.

PW

Quote Originally Posted by PilotWolf View Post
    No one wants to hit anything
    Exactly, so what's the speed you "want to hit it" at in your original platitude?

The sentiment is a good one - don't travel faster than you need to in close quarters - but the actual words are nonsense.

Pete

Failed to run astern..... A few years ago a BC ferry fresh out of dry dock did likewise at Horseshoe Bay and charged into a marina full of boats.
    Eastern Scotland and beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Ballad View Post
    And a double-whammy.
    Engine ahead throughout?

I loved seeing the chap with the roving fender! He had the right idea, but not necessarily the right equipment.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast