Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Jet drives on a 60’ boat

I know next to nothing about jet drives. There’s a 60’ Aquastar with them fitted. I guess that’s pretty unusual for a boat of that size. 704hp Cats linked to Hamilton fat drives.

What are the pros and cons? My guess is less drag therefore a higher speed and/or more efficient. And possibly more manoeuvrable than shafts, not that shafts aren’t manouverable.

Any other suggestions?

Default Re: Jet drives on a 60’ boat

Shallow water .
    There’s maintenance issues underwater hydraulics for steering and the reversing bucket and impeller wear .
    I don’t know what the time interval is for a strip down .

Ultimately they say less drag , no P bracket or rudder so marginally more efficient fuel wise or faster for a given fuel burn compared to a shaft equivalent.

Ropes / weed getting sucked in wrapping around is a haul out job not a diver only job .

Quote Originally Posted by Portofino View Post
    Shallow water .
    There’s maintenance issues underwater hydraulics for steering and the reversing bucket and impeller wear .
    I don’t know what the time interval is for a strip down .

Ultimately they say less drag , no P bracket or rudder so marginally more efficient fuel wise or faster for a given fuel burn compared to a shaft equivalent.

Ropes / weed getting sucked in wrapping around is a haul out job not a diver only job .
    I did think shallow water, but then thought the keel would be about as deep as props.

So just the same as jet ribs, susceptible to rope and weed. There’s lots of it about!

Quote Originally Posted by longjohnsilver View Post
    I know next to nothing about jet drives. There’s a 60’ Aquastar with them fitted. I guess that’s pretty unusual for a boat of that size. 704hp Cats linked to Hamilton fat drives.

What are the pros and cons? My guess is less drag therefore a higher speed and/or more efficient. And possibly more manoeuvrable than shafts, not that shafts aren’t manouverable.

Any other suggestions?
    Here is an even bigger boat on Jet drives
    https://www.boatinternational.com/ya...e-india--87851

And wasn't Azzam built using water jets ??

Quote Originally Posted by Ian h View Post
    Here is an even bigger boat on Jet drives
    https://www.boatinternational.com/ya...e-india--87851
    11 gallons per mile @ 34kts.

Guy I know has a 115ft azimut on her drives.

Just a large Williams !

I was under the impression that you needed bigger engines and fuel burn to run jets but like aircraft the water jet gives constant thrust whereas a prop will reach a plateau at WOT and top engine /prop revs. I.e jet is not only able to go faster but also to sit in a favourable torque band at a greater range of speeds when accelerating.

One of the Brecqhou boats that runs out of Guernsey is an Aquastar commercial hull running Cummins QSC with Hamilton jet drives.

After many years of commercial use, the drives now look very tired. If you are thinking of buying a similar set-up, a bloody good engineer's survey is a must. Spare parts may be hard to come by now too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast