Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Nieuwport Firing Range

Quote Originally Posted by Glayva View Post
    Is that the one just west of Fehrmarn on the right as you come out of Kieler Bucht? If so I wandered into that one in June during an electrical storm when it was absolutely dark at 1600 hours. Had been steering to clear the yellow marker buoys as had listened to the live firing message on VHF. But in the dark the yellow buoys didn't show lights I wandered into the area and when the storm cleared recognised the boat being called at a certain lat/long was me. Was directed to leave the area as I was in a NATO naval live firing exercise. Found the line of yellow buoys again and started to head around them as I was heading for Fehrmarn. Was interested to notice that inside the buoys a Russian fishing boat that I hadn't heard called was steaming along closely followed by a grey gunboat of unrecognisable nationality. Having a VHF conversation with NATO Control is quite exciting.
    Yes, that's the one. It covers a large area and is awkward when passing from Fehmann to Kiel. The times of firing are listed and copies are displayed at nearby marinas such as Laboe and Heiligenhafen. They tend not to fire on Sundays I think. There are also pillars with flashing lights during firing at each end on the shore which are marked on the charts. At least they warn you off. When passing a Polish range near Utske we were told that they don't warn you but fine you after you have passed.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

We must have benefited from the August holiday as we tacked down from Ostend to Nieuwport close inshore last week... must admit - I've never been warned off that stretch of water - maybe I'm always there in July / Aug...

Not the only one then.Certainly adds a frisson to passage planning (otherwise fairly basic along here),with all these advisory dates,which I just missed.Must add a waypoint after the 'belgian flag' reminder - to 'call 67'.Having passed the Zuydcoote,heading NE, you're very likely to be beyond getting a good sight ofthe described warning flags.The dogleg is pretty obvious here.

http://www.sportstracklive.com/track...d/2579672/full
    Many thanks Westhinder for the range info.link.
    As for clearing the range quickly ,the point is taken,but if we are at hull speed under reduced jib then we won't go any faster under the engine.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12