Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Problems

Default Problems

Problems and more problems that's boats for you .
    We was having dinner on a US friends boat last night with other couple and talk turned into boat problem we had this season ,
    I thought We had more then our share this year , with the on going windlass breaker tipping although it's only trip twice this year in six months of constant anchoring ,
    the course computer packing up and the other day the engine stopped without a reason or should I say without finding what the reason was .
    Fingers cross it was just say , for F@@@ sake Vic I need a break .

But then I started listening to the problems they had over the season , and thought our problem where nothing compared to theirs .
    Our full cost of repairs €500 , theirs rans into thousands .
    With a list of repairs still to do , crack mast, engine over haul, all sorts of electronic problems
    Cooker replacements,ongoing fridges problems water leaks ,rigging,
    Maybe things aren't as bad after all .

Finger cross our is just down to copper coating the hull , replacing the odd sea cock and stripping the propellor replacing bearing and the normal winter service of equipment
    Last edited by sailaboutvic; 07-09-19 at 06:27.
    Warning forumite dyslexia near by
    www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

Default Re: Problems

Hi Vic, yes there is always something with boats! We started the season with a cracked exhaust elbow - not major but lost a few days sailing over Easter - been pretty lucky since until last week the wind indicator stopped working- turns out the sheets have chafed through the wires at the bottom of the mast, temporary repair done with a soldering iron but need to run new wires really. Hey ho could be worse
    Yacht: White Pearl - Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 32i

Tell me.

I got rid if the Deep sea Seal and replaced it with a Radice Volvo seal. When I drew the prop shaft back and found slight pitting in line with the cutlass lands, grrr. Then found the engine raw water inlet has a plated brass sea cock, double grr. I can grind the skin fitting off but to hold the angle on the new one and do it up I will have to disconnect the house bank and disassemble the battery box.

The old yard hand said, You will never finish a boat, the boat will finish you.”

PBO forum for shaft pitting.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy52 View Post
    [...]

The old yard hand said, You will never finish a boat, the boat will finish you.”

[...].
    How true

Talking to a guy at social gathering last evening who had a very simple fault turn expensive. Heading south from Cascais single handed, found his engine panel was completely dead so, he tried to sail back but couldn't make headway against wind which had gone to north and increased. Called CG who organised a tow which for 5 hours tow boat time with 2 crew cost over €4,000! Turned out the battery to engine cable had fractured where it couldn't be seen.

I reckon since May 1998 when we bought our liveaboard yacht, we've spent nearly as much refitting as the boat cost in the first place!

My school boat, now sold, probably around 40%.

Wish I hadnt read this thead!

There was one occasion out of the twenty years we have owned the boat from new when we were within a mile of our home marina after three months away and my wife said what I had been thinking. "Nothing has gone wrong in three months. Isn't that amazing?". With still a mile to go I was sorely tempted to throw my lady-Jonah overboard.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

North Wales, sailing Aegean Sea or Menai Strait

The cost of renewing components that are specifically 'yacht' is astounding. Last season we had a few problems furling the genoa. It looked like the bearings in the top swivel were rather worn, so I enquired about a replacement. £500!! For an inner and outer bush, two bearings and seals. In other branches of engineering the cost is probably not even three figures.
    Answers to some technical queries at new website http://coxeng.co.uk

Expensive couple of years for us, last year new outboard £1,600, this year new panels + 100/30 MPPT + 4 T105s, around £1,200.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham376 View Post
    Expensive couple of years for us, last year new outboard £1,600, this year new panels + 100/30 MPPT + 4 T105s, around £1,200.
    New dinghy and outboard is our next buy but not till next year , unless a bargain falls on my lap .
    Warning forumite dyslexia near by
    www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast