Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Problems

Default Re: Problems

Quote Originally Posted by geem View Post
    I think giving some of the yards we know about the status of ‘professional’ is inappropriate. With regard to Coppercoat we had an example. The instructions say thin with isopropyl alcohol of at least 90% purity. We were doing our own Coppercoat in a well respected yard that is actually an official Coppercoat applicator. We ask the yard manager where we could get the appropriate alcohol. He says its hard to find so we just use the 70% purity! We found 96% isopropyl alcohol in a local chemist. What effect this has on Coppercoat I dont know but if the instruction say use at least 90% and the ‘professionals’ dont, I think we will stick to diy. Coppercoat is working very well by the way
    We did our Dufour in 2013 scraped the bloody thing off our self , never again I say , I managed to give the hull except the rudder, keel and the stands where four coats while my other half mixed in a day . Took some doing ,
    The new owner took her out last winter and he reported back saying , he was very happy with the little fouling he found after two years in the water without him doing any cleaning .
    One Month down the line we be doing it again on this boat , but this time we won't be going any scraping .
    Warning forumite dyslexia near by
    www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

Default Re: Problems

AQ
    Quote Originally Posted by sailaboutvic View Post
    We did our Dufour in 2013 scraped the bloody thing off our self , never again I say , I managed to give the hull except the rudder, keel and the stands where four coats while my other half mixed in a day . Took some doing ,
    The new owner took her out last winter and he reported back saying , he was very happy with the little fouling he found after two years in the water without him doing any cleaning .
    One Month down the line we be doing it again on this boat , but this time we won't be going any scraping .
    We had ours done professionally the first time. We did it ourselves in September last year for the second time. We only had to sand with 80grit to get a key. Not as bad as scraping! Took us a couple of days to apply the Coppercoat with just me and wife. Hard work but worth it in my opinion.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234